Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Coming from a Pontiac guy it's okay, it has 2 more doors than needed

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Screw the purists- or should I say snobs. To them anything that is not a 455 SD 4 speed is crap. They tend to own the car their parents bought them in High School. I love that all-Ebay Tempest!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Screw the purists- or should I say snobs. To them anything that is not a 455 SD 4 speed is crap. They tend to own the car their parents bought them in High School. I love that all-Ebay Tempest!!![/QUOTE. That's not always true, I prefer Pontiacs that came with the original brand of motor, older ones with olds or Pontiac power, Canadian models and some USA models with Chevy power, anything after 80 with Buick or Chevy power and of course anything with a LS swap. So I guess I am kinda a purist.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That is one badass Tempest sleeper. The engine and setup was nicely installed. All in all...I love it. What a mind blower.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
badass, thanks for the share.

-Guy with a caddy in his buick

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
". So I guess I am kinda a purist. " I only run a Pontiac engine in my Pontiac car. Period. And I will squeeze a Pontiac engine into a Chevy or anything else I favor. But I am not going to lose sleep because my hubcaps are not factory original. In fact nothing I own is completely factory stock. That's why I gave up going to car shows where they nitpick every little thing as if they themselves still had Detroit air in their tires. Who cares?!?

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I too only run Olds V8's in my Oldsmobile cars and any GM truck I have owned. I also only run the less loved SBO, I always heard how awesome 455's, especially from my ex BIL, till it spun a bearing, a far too common theme when owning a 455. I personally grew up with a 75 Cutlass 4 door, Olds 350 powered nicknamed " The Beast", cost $1000. It got 20 mpg imperial hwy, over 300,000 miles on the odometer and was drove stupid hard by my sister but mostly her boyfriend the last few years. The TH350 died in a smoke cloud, the HEI also died, the Olds 350 never did. We sold it for scrap when the front brake caliper seized on and the motor developed a knock, speedo buried ditch driving does bad things on a high mile car. Either way, the wrecker sold it and was on the road at least another 5 years. Our 81 Delta 88 Olds 307 powered was even better and $500. It just needed a new modulator on the TH250C and a new battery, even the A/C worked. The lady bought it new in 82 and had a stack of bills, basic and normal maintenance, nothing major and 3000 km oil changes. I got 420,000 km on that car and 450,000+ on the 307 until the timing chain skipped, still had decent power, used very little oil and had acceptable oil pressure. I had another 307 so I retired it. All that said, the reason I chose the Olds V8, I would consider the 5.9 Magnum with it's awesome flowing Ram EQ heads going into my Olds, especially if I did the 426 stroker and added a big intake valve will outflow Procomp Olds aluminum heads with much smaller runner volume. My current heads are equal to Procomp's. I love dare to be different, I am glad this guy was as well.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor