Another Prototype Gasket in the Coming Soon Edition- Can't Believe They Haven't Repro'd This One

1988SS

Apprentice
May 9, 2020
Has it on my 88 MCSS....crusty but it's mostly there. Do you have to drill out that rivet to replace it?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Has it on my 88 MCSS....crusty but it's mostly there. Do you have to drill out that rivet to replace it?
Yes. Rivet must be removed, then reinstall a new rivet when reassembling. The rivet pulls it tight up against the trunklid effectively smooshing (technical term) the gasket in between.

A good time to clean up old wax and ingrained dirt around the trunk lock gasket area (your car's bellybutton lint), or even replace the trunk lock gasket itself. Which I have several of the 20030348 trunk lock cylinder gaskets, too, if you need any.

Trunk Lock Cylinder Gasket.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor