fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLIM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2011
PITTSBURGH
I need to replace my fuel pump on my 84 MCSS and was wondering if anyone knows of a good video online or a thread here that could explain it more to me. I've watch a few youtube videos and it seems pretty simple but most of them were on different vehicles (a 79 Grand Prix and a SBC truck) and they all do things differently, and I'm not sure who's right lol.One guy put sealant between the gasket and the pump and the other didn't. The other guy put sealant on the fuel line and the first one didn't. I saw one video with a guy about to replace his fuel pump on an 87 MCSS (I think) and he said that on MC's it's easier to get at it from behind the wheel. Any help would be appreciated!

Slim

SLIM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2011
PITTSBURGH
You guys can do complete engine rebuilds and swaps, but no one can give a new guy trying to learn a little advice?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Hey SLIM, I don't know of a good DIY video on changing a mechanical fuel pump, but they are pretty simple and straight forward.
-unhook battery (you don't want the post on the alternator to be hot while working with the fuel lines (learned that from experience))
-place drain pan under fuel pump and remove the fuel lines
-remove the 2 bolts that hold the fuel pump (hopefully the fuel pump push rod will stay in place)

When installing your new fuel pump, using the RTV on the gaskets is just a safety measure. I personally use RTV on just about everything :mrgreen: Just a small amount on your fingers and rub it over the gasket to create a thin layer of sealant. Do not use thread sealant on the threaded fuel line. This is a flared fitting and that is the way it seals. If it is not sealing correctly, thread sealant will not fix it. You will need to re-flare the end and install a new flared nut :idea: Other than that, just be sure that the other rubber lines are in good condition (replace if needed) and you'll be good to go :mrgreen:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Anytime SLIM :mrgreen:

By the way, welcome to the forum 8) I hope we can help in any way.

Any pictrues of your Monte :?:

SLIM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 17, 2011
PITTSBURGH

It was in an accident a few years ago and has a white drives side door, and there is still a dent in the fender, but other than that the body is in really nice condition. The interior is a little rougher than I would have liked it to be, a lot of cracked plastics near the screws from over-tightening, seats are pretty beat up, but it will be a good project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor