Ignition wiring - looking for wiring diagram other than maliburacing site...

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Anyone have a detailed wiring diagram that includes the wiring coming in/out of this ignition switch?
ignition.jpg

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A word about these. There's a TILT switch and a NON-TILT switch. GM p/n 1990115 for non-tilt, and 1990116 for tilt. The actuator works opposite. Pushes for the non-tilt and pulls for the tilt version. But the wiring should be the same. Some pins aren't used. But this switch style was used in a lot of different cars.

What exactly is the maliburacing diagram not telling you? Looks pretty straightforward to me.

1712485779189.png

Is it the pinouts you need? They should be marked inside the cavity. All the battery terminals are in the center. The numbers in the boxes are the connection numbers. Those SHOULD be marked on the plugs.

I1 = Ignition 1
S = Solenoid/starter
I3 is the Ignition 3,
B2 = Battery 2
B3 = Battery 3
A= Accessory (I've seen some aftermarket switches with an A1 and A2)
G1 = Ground 1
G2 = Ground 2

Again, some pinout locations are NOT used on our cars. Just how it is. Use the proper schematic for your year and model.

1712488960309.png

Decent video to watch below. Might help explain things further. Especially when testing.

Hope this helps.

Here's a diagram from my 1985 electrical manual. This may help if applicable. It's a LITTLE different than the maliburacing one.

G-body ignition switch wiring power distrib.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you just feel the need to rebuild one, you can use this video to help guide you. I personally just replaced them with GM units. But they may be getting a bit scarcer out there.

Reactions: 2 users

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
A word about these. There's a TILT switch and a NON-TILT switch. GM p/n 1990115 for non-tilt, and 1990116 for tilt. The actuator works opposite. Pushes for the non-tilt and pulls for the tilt version. But the wiring should be the same. Some pins aren't used. But this switch style was used in a lot of different cars.

What exactly is the maliburacing diagram not telling you? Looks pretty straightforward to me.

View attachment 237523

Is it the pinouts you need? They should be marked inside the cavity. All the battery terminals are in the center. The numbers in the boxes are the connection numbers. Those SHOULD be marked on the plugs.

I1 = Ignition 1
S = Solenoid/starter
I3 is the Ignition 3,
B2 = Battery 2
B3 = Battery 3
A= Accessory (I've seen some aftermarket switches with an A1 and A2)
G1 = Ground 1
G2 = Ground 2

Again, some pinout locations are NOT used on our cars. Just how it is. Use the proper schematic for your year and model.

View attachment 237524

Decent video to watch below. Might help explain things further. Especially when testing.

Hope this helps.

Here's a diagram from my 1985 electrical manual. This may help if applicable. It's a LITTLE different than the maliburacing one.

View attachment 237522
Actually this info is just what I needed. Thak you. Maybe I was to tired when going over the maliburacing diagrams but I didn't find the one you posted. I think I posted here at about 2am so I was probably half asleep. I appreciate you taking the time to post this info, it shall be put to good use.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor