Tstat Bypass Tower Clamps

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Tower clamps were used only on the bypass on the 307s for some darn reason. The hose is something like 1" OD diameter. I'll check on that.

I think they were Wittek 1-1/16" IIRC, but I'll mosey on out to the shop later and see what I can see on the original clamps as far as size. Factory junk was supposed to be date coded too.

Original heater hoses usually all have regular "IDEAL" hose clamps that I've seen, but that don't always mean anything. If they got a good deal from someone else, that's where they bought them. VIN 9 engines also had the heater hose from the pump to the core run next to the carb via a small 1/2 of a clamp that used the choke cover as the other 1/2 of the clamp. The hose sorta just got pinched in there. VIN Y engines had the longer hose loop around the accumulator. I haven't seen anything written down why this was, but I believe it was to ensure the hose didn't affect getting in the way of the snorkel on the VIN 9 air cleaner in the HVAC area. Not enough room for both to occupy the same space. I believe, although not positive, the later cars, either 87 or 88 VIN Y routed the heater hose like the VIN 9 by that time, but earlier ones used the "loop".

The lower rad hose has that special water pump connector regular hose clamp with the riveted-on belt shield. The other hose clamps were double wire.

This is all off the top of my skull. But I'll double check that.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I forgot they also painted the mo-fos black, too when they painted the engine. Mine are a little bit crusty on the 87. I forgot I replaced the T-stat on the 85 about 100 years ago, and got rid of what I thought then was inferior tower clamps on the bypass hose. "Nothing was better than the worm gear clamps!"

I forgot how much flexibility I no longer have. Best I could make out with a mirror and work lamp is what appears to be 1- 3/16". NOT the 1-1/16" I thought it was. I could not see a date on either, but that doesn't mean anything one way or another.

Reactions: 1 users

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
I forgot they also painted the mo-fos black, too when they painted the engine. Mine are a little bit crusty on the 87. I forgot I replaced the T-stat on the 85 about 100 years ago, and got rid of what I thought then was inferior tower clamps on the bypass hose. "Nothing was better than the worm gear clamps!"

I forgot how much flexibility I no longer have. Best I could make out with a mirror and work lamp is what appears to be 1- 3/16". NOT the 1-1/16" I thought it was. I could not see a date on either, but that doesn't mean anything one way or another.
Thanks, I have a line on some that I believe are 1 1/16" with 1983 or 85 date codes, guy has a bunch.
I need to double check with him on the dimensions but if you want some I can nab a few extras up.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Never liked those tower clamps don't trust them. It's the rust that starts to form on the inside the end of the screw that you cannot see and once the happens the clamp starts to loose its tension.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor