Mild build up SBC 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
Mission Objectives:
1. Use existing GM 350 Hencho En Mexico short block with no modificaitons
2. Use existing 600 CFM Edelbrock 1406 carb and Performer EGR Intake (currently plugged with included cap as I dont think my heads have the needed crossover?), flowtech headers, dual exhaust, no cat, MSD pro billet distributer (no multispark setup....yet)
3. Still use 87 octane gas
4. Idle smooth, not wake the neighborhood, be useful around town and get reasonable MPG of 12+ city, 17ish Highway (or better)
(i have a TH350 transmission (tranmission, not cross dressor!) and 3:42 rear gears)

Preliminary research:
1. Edelbrock heads and CAM seem to be a good deal.
Question: Do I go with the 50 State Legal heads? Or the E-street series? Should I maintain EGR, i.e. will that help increase mileage and smooth idle?

2. I am sitting at 76cc heads and 8.5:1 compression. I am Thinking of using 70cc heads. That should be around 9:1 compression. I think...
Question: Can I still run 87 Octane? if so what do I have to look out for to avoid detonation?

3. Comp Cams has nice Ultra Gold rockers at stock ratios for much more reasonable price than Edelbrock, AND lifetime warranty.
Question: Will those mate up nice on the Edelbrock heads and increase horsepower? or should I stick with Stock rockers? Is 1.5 or 1.6 the correct stock ratio that the Edelbrock head require?

4. go with a matched Double Roller timing chain
Question, will that fit on my Hench En Mexico block without modification?

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
no opinions? :(

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
Edelbrock heads and CAM seem to be a good deal. [/color][/b]
Question: Do I go with the 50 State Legal heads? Or the E-street series? Should I maintain EGR, i.e. will that help increase mileage and smooth idle?
Check with your local laws on emissions so you can know what route you want to take, but IMO im about the power so you should do more research on the heads you want to see what is better for your application, idle quality is more based on cam selection and your tuning skills
2. I am sitting at 76cc heads and 8.5:1 compression. I am Thinking of using 70cc heads. That should be around 9:1 compression. I think...
Question: Can I still run 87 Octane? if so what do I have to look out for to avoid detonation?
Yes you're still way in the green on 87

3. Comp Cams has nice Ultra Gold rockers at stock ratios for much more reasonable price than Edelbrock, AND lifetime warranty.
Question: Will those mate up nice on the Edelbrock heads and increase horsepower? or should I stick with Stock rockers? Is 1.5 or 1.6 the correct stock ratio that the Edelbrock head require?
Yes, stock ratio is 1.5 but you should step up to the 1.6 and They will free up some ponies

4. go with a matched Double Roller timing chain
Question, will that fit on my Hench En Mexico block without modification?
Yes most 350 are made in Mexico anyway

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Answers to your questions:
1. Depends on your area's emissions regulations. EGR is fine and can "trick" your engine into "thinking" it is running richer than it is. This will reduce detonation, cylinder temperature and (in theory) fuel consumption. The Performer cam is a good choice for a mild driver.
2. Yes.
3. Roller rockers are fine. The stock ratio is 1.5. If you are building a combination from scratch, it makes more sense to use a larger cam with 1.5 rocker than to use a smaller cam with 1.6 rockers. Using 1.6 rockers is fine on an engine with a cam that is too small for everything else (big heads, intake and carb but stock cam). They add undue stress to your valve-train.
4. Yes. Roller rill fit.
I ran a stock short block with aftermarket heads that had flow numbers similar to the E-Streets along with a Performer cam and intake. With a Quadrajet it got about 16-17mpg on the freeway and ran very smooth. I doubt a 1406 would do any better. My vehicle weighed 3200# and had 3.08 gears.

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
So here she is....

21ec0pl.jpg

2n19iz6.jpg

2ni2k44.jpg

2rxa7x1.jpg

x5o7zl.jpg

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
I have hit a snag. The Engine is IN and mated to the transmission and the engine mounts are aligned. BUT I CAN NOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME ATTACH THE HEADERS!!!!

When I took out the engine i just detached the headers from the block and lifted it right up. I user bungies to pull them to the sides when I lowered the engine back in. I can only get the driver's side front two bolts in. The others I just can NOT get the header flange aligned long enough to start the threads of the bolts. I know the bolts fit because I can fit them and screw them in with the header pulled away.

The passenger side is another story... i seems to be about two inches too short toward the read of the car. I can not seem to pull it forward!

Now, logically I know the headers did not "shrink" and supposedly the new Vortec Heads are direct replacments right? Shouldn't the holes be in the same relative place?

What should I do?

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
the headers should still work. When you painted the heads did you cover the holes to the threads?

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
SScamino said:
the headers should still work. When you painted the heads did you cover the holes to the threads?

yes. plus I can get the bolts screwed all the way in without a problem with the headers pulled away.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Anthony.

Just a thought. Is your headers still connected to the pipes? If so, you may want to unbolt them from the flanges and try bolting them to the block that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor