87 regal ->Grand prix dash w/gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
So over the weekend i ve started the process of swappin my 85 grand prix dash into my turbo regal. Here' s the thread on the swap: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23369

Here's the issue, the harnesses for all or most of the accessories between the two cars are completely differant. I'm particularly concerned w/ the speedo & tach harness converting to the functional guages in the grand prix.

Questions
1. Is it as simple as a lil cut & splice job or are there issues since the grand prix runs seperate functional guages and the buick only runs the lame indiot lights? Or am i thinking too much into this & its simply the same signal in the back and a different display in the delivered informtion?

2. what aftermarket guages(speedo & Tach) is everyone running, especially those who had a guage panel w/idiot lights?

3. how do you install/wire in door speakers into you udio system in a car that never had any?

4. My boost guage has a white wire coming out of the back of it, i cant remember where it goes, does anyone know?

5. My rear interior 1/4 panels have provisins for lamps, how do you wire them into the main harness so they come on w/ the switch or when the door opens.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Most if not all of the wires in the harness can be used. GM is very good on color codes, so the green wire for the temp sender would be the same, etc. I doubt the actual harness connectors would be the same, but by inserting a tiny tool like an ice pick, the connector pins w/wires can be removed from the Buick connector and replaced into the Pontiac connector. If they don't reach then solder up some wire extensions. Don't forget to change the oil/temp senders to gauge style. To get speakers in the doors you need the rubber bellows that connect the doors to the body and protect the wires, power window cars have them. Boost gauge wire is probably illumination. (EDIT) For rear lights, tap into the front courtesy lights wires, they would be orange and up under the dash. If none, dome light wires will work. Orange is for always hot, as you would need for interior lights and cig lighter.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Keep me posted man! Il be saving this thread for my swap

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
Im tryin to merge the harness of my regal & the grand prix. So i chopped off both extensions/ports w/e 2 merge them but i cant figure out which wires co together.
The regal has:
1 green
1 brown
1 light grey
1 pink w/black stripe
1 black
1 white
1 grey w/black stripe
1 black w/white stripe

The grand prix has:
1 green
1 brown
1 light grey
2 pink w/black stripe
1 tan
2 black
1 pink w/o stripe
which wires go together?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You really need the wiring diagrams for this but here's the GP from memory- green/temp, tan/oil, pink/fuel, lt grey/bulbs, pink with black stripe/ign, black/ground, brown "could" be for the battery telltale light that "should" be right under the volts gauge needle. Same as the idiot light for "gen" on all cars. On the speedo/tach harness the white wire is for the tach.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Bonnewagon said:
You really need the wiring diagrams for this but here's the GP from memory- green/temp, tan/oil, pink/fuel, lt grey/bulbs, pink with black stripe/ign, black/ground, brown "could" be for the battery telltale light that "should" be right under the volts gauge needle. Same as the idiot light for "gen" on all cars. On the speedo/tach harness the white wire is for the tach.
=========================================================================================================
Mark,
You're a walking encyclopedia... :lol:

As Mark says, you'll need the wiring diagrams for both cars. I was almost wondering about that myself. My Pontiac dash wiring had been cut. So I was also wondering if my Chevy dash wiring harness could be utilized on the GP dash. That's of course if I wanted to retain the Pontiac gauges. If I go with aftermarket gauges, it wouldn't be that much of a concern.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Let me add this PM to the discussion, since others may benefit. Sent: Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 am
To: Bonnewagon
You were helping me with the wiring on my grand prix dash swap, viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27606, I have most of it figured out(thanx 2 you) but the grand prix assec harness has (2) black & pink/black wires but the regal assec harness wiring only has one black & pink/black wire, should I remove one of each from the connector and if so which one?
View messages: Outbox
Reply to message

To: Someone_Much_Cooler
Hi. Yes I see 2 sets of pink/black and black wires on the GP harness. The pink/black is switched ignition 12 volts and the black is ground. I would take your Buick wires and split them to feed the GP wires. The book shows 2 pink/black and 2 black (150 and 139) so I would use them as the factory meant, as I doubt they are redundant and I would assume they are all needed. I found this pic in the book, may help.
IMG_0003.jpg

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Just wanna say this is a very informative thread! Im currently doing the GP swap in my monte and this is helping me. Oh and Bonnewagon you know your sh*t :notworthy:

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
Maybe I can help on the topic of gauges and dash configuration. I've changed the dash in my GP a few times over the years.
It originally had idiot lights and a clock. I've always run manual aftermarket gauges.

This was how I set it up originally, on a high school student budget. Not a very good pic, but I cut the plastic piece that held the idiot lights to fit 2&1/16" gauges. I stuck a Sunpro super tach II in front of the clock. Worked well enough considering I had no budget at the time.
23516_1363480489065_1293183624_1059685_286925_n.jpg

Later I sanded the wood paneling off the dash trim and painted it. I added larger 2&5/8" gauges and ditched the plastic piece that held the idiot lights/smaller gauges. I kept the sunpro tach but I cut the clock out of the cluster entirely and mounted the tach in the hole where the clock had been. It fit perfectly.
23771_1362672868875_1293183624_1056965_3991421_n.jpg

I wound up replacing the tan dash because it was not in the best of shape. I found a blue dash in excellent condition and dyed it black. I also removed my non functioning a/c system and switched to a non-a/c heater box while I was swapping dashes. The plan is for the entire interior to eventually be black.
19841_1365477458988_1293183624_1065999_1181523_n.jpg

23771_1362671908851_1293183624_1056941_871877_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor