Status
Not open for further replies.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Year and Model: 1985 El Camino
Engine Specs and Modifications: In 350, out 305
Drivetrain Specs and Modifications: 200-4r, Limited slip Diff with 3.73 gear ratio

Starting this thread to sort of keep me motivated, as my engine swap kind of developed into a whole lot more work

Picked up this engine mild 350 4bolt mains a couple weeks ago from a member on ECC Kerno you can kinda see his beautiful beast in the background (modifications to come)
350front.jpg

Started my engine swap last week when I began with this POS 305, began labeling disconnecting wiring harness and vacuum lines etc. The wiring was completely distroyed by the P.O and many of the plugs were either disconnected or melted, lots of wires were stripped. Im amazed there wasn't a fire when I use to drive it.
SSPX0393.jpg

Front Clip and Cowl hood off and in the bed

SSPX0401.jpg

Tragic discoverys
Damaged AC box

SSPX0397.jpg

Example one of many damaged/ cut wires just hanging
SSPX0395.jpg

Even CA cars are not safe, looks like something punctures the floor board and was just sealed with silicone which probably led to rust next to it

SSPX0427.jpg

Damaged wheel wells

SSPX0425.jpg

More to come!

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Engine and trans coming out!

SSPX0399.jpg

SSPX0408.jpg

SSPX0410.jpg

Mission Complete
SSPX0414.jpg

BTW I dont have a uni brow, those of you with glasses can probably relate. When you feel your glasses failing off your face us 4 eyes tend to push them back up by the bridge of our nose. I just happened to do it with grease on my fingers LOL. Ive actually walked in public like that without a clue as to why people are staring when I go to auto zone or something

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The aftermath:

Engine bay I will be cleaning and painting.
SSPX0418.jpg

exhaust
SSPX0432.jpg

Stupid leaking stearing box, which has cause massive amounts of caked on grease and grime
SSPX0421.jpg

Althought it did keep steering parts protected from rust and bushings lubricated lol
SSPX0402.jpg

Pics of exhuast system now for sale! I have headers and true dulas coming.

Bolts on to factory 305 manifolds like mine which are pictured in other post.

Straight pipe no cat (although can be added simply and cheaply), 1 flowmaster, dual tips dumps behind wheels, does not require special cross member. Very good condition, no rust, tips have good chrome they are just very dirty the cars been sitting for months. It is very loud even with that POS 305 I was running, it sets off alarms....(if your close enough..haha)

Dont know why it looks like its cut off in the middle in this pic but its not
SSPX0430.jpg

Chrome Tip, has one on both sides
SSPX0431.jpg

More updates mañana!

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Dissasembled the Front end this weekend
SSPX0449.jpg

My order came in Sat to rebuild steering linkage/ front end. New idler arm, inner, outer tie rods, sleeves, centerlink, upper and lower ball joints, sway bar endlinks and frame mounts. Price for generic replacement parts was less than half the price of moog, I was really tempted but I don't want to have to do this twice any time soon. And for the price this car better ride like a caddy!

Springs and shocks and control arm bushings were relatively new before I let the car sit. So they will be reused

SSPX0447.jpg

Proms coming soon, so guess who needs money. Bro degreasing, to get parts ready for paint.

SSPX0450.jpg

Frame, control arms, sway bars, jounce bars clean and ready for sanding and paint..

SSPX0452.jpg

SSPX0451.jpg

I got the frame and everything above sanded and hit them with two coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer and will get them painted within a couple days and post some pics. It looks a hell of alot better!

Fun stuff, engine goodies, felpro gaskets, arp bolts, cloyes true double roller, comps cam and lifter magnum 270h, headers and distributor should be arriving tomorrow.

SSPX0446.jpg

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
richp85elco said:
Dissasembled the Front end this weekend
SSPX0449.jpg

My order came in Sat to rebuild steering linkage/ front end. New idler arm, inner, outer tie rods, sleeves, centerlink, upper and lower ball joints, sway bar endlinks and frame mounts. Price for generic replacement parts was less than half the price of moog, I was really tempted but I don't want to have to do this twice any time soon. And for the price this car better ride like a caddy!

Springs and shocks and control arm bushings were relatively new before I let the car sit. So they will be reused

SSPX0447.jpg

Proms coming soon, so guess who needs money. Bro degreasing, to get parts ready for paint.

SSPX0450.jpg

Frame, control arms, sway bars, jounce bars clean and ready for sanding and paint..

SSPX0452.jpg

SSPX0451.jpg

I got the frame and everything above sanded and hit them with two coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer and will get them painted within a couple days and post some pics. It looks a hell of alot better!

Fun stuff, engine goodies, felpro gaskets, arp bolts, cloyes true double roller, comps cam and lifter magnum 270h, headers and distributor should be arriving tomorrow.

SSPX0446.jpg
man u puttin in work!!!!!

85gbody

Greasemonkey
Jun 10, 2010
Long Beach, Cali.
dayumm! now thats getting some damage done! keep it up and good luck with the build

ElCaminoGRAN/SPORT

Master Mechanic
Apr 13, 2011
S.carolina
I will be watchin your build good luck,I see you startin off right tearin it down and puttin new stuff on it,at least you can get your lil bro to help,mine came over sat on my couch this weekend and watched the playoffs while I was bustin my knuckles :evil: .

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor