87 Regal-355 Build-Engine Bay restore, THE WORKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
It's been a while since I posted any progress on my regal...a few months ago I built a website for a mechanic in exchange for a stock 4-bolt main 350 SBC. He gave me the engine before the site was even started so I disassembled and took it the good folks at Chastain Engines in Jonesboro,Ga for the cleaning and machining..after hot tanking and magnaflux treatment they proceeded with boring (.030) and line honing and installing new freeze and oil plugs..the block was also decked...this what she looked like when i picked her up..

DSC_3123.jpg

Well I saved up to buy all new parts for the short block and took it back down to Chastains for the assembly to make sure its done 'right'....and with a warranty :wink: The short block is done and will be picked up tomorrow. I'll be bringing it home to put on the stand for the paint job..chevy orange!!

Well last nite I started with prepping for removing the 307 this weekend..drained the oil and coolant and disconnected rad hoses and transmission lines and pulled the radiator. tonite i'll get all the emissions crap out and complete the remaining steps from the Chilton's manual and by saturday i'll be ready to take out the 307 and 200 transmission.

2012-03-28%2020.59.46.jpg

2012-03-28%2021.00.12.jpg

2012-03-28%2021.03.20.jpg

I took off my vinyl top to find the passenger back corner (behind qt. window) was rust infected. I guess water was getting under the rag and to that back corner something awful..looks like i have a little work cut out for me with this corner..

2012-02-29%2021.53.32.jpg

The other corner isn't that bad...check the mockup with the hardtop window trim..
2012-02-29%2021.40.06.jpg

I'll have more updates following my progress over the next few days..well weeks...who am i kidding...the next 6 months!

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
87 Regal Project- 307 Out- Pic Updates

and can someone explain how I can remove the AC stuff..the Chilton's says it should be removed by a 'pro'...

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Re: 87 Regal- SBO 307 to SBC 350 build thread

You need to take your car to a place that can evacuate your AC system. After that's done, all you need to do is unbolt it all.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
87 Regal Project- 307 Out- Pic Updates

if the carb is shot and i've already drained the fluid what's my next option?

bigtmoney

Greasemonkey
Dec 11, 2011
Dallas, TX
Re: 87 Regal- SBO 307 to SBC 350 build thread

You can probably rent an AC evacuator from Advance or Autozone.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Re: 87 Regal Project- 307 Out- Pic Updates

With the help of my OG mechanic I successfully pulled the Olds 307 last nite. It was wayyyyyy easier than i ever expected. The hardest part was disconnecting all the harness connections and cleaning up all the damn coolant and PS fluid that was everywhere. Other than that it was smooth sailing...Below are pics of the progress.

DSC_3234.jpg

DSC_3237.jpg

DSC_3254.jpg

DSC_3257.jpg

DSC_3258.jpg

DSC_3260.jpg

DSC_3286.jpg

DSC_3290.jpg

DSC_3295.jpg

DSC_3296.jpg

DSC_3299.jpg

I'm looking to start on the engine bay today or tomorrow. Was thinking about soda blasting the bay..what are you guys' thoughts on that? from vids i've seen it looks like soda blasting is the best route to go...i'm looking for that paint to lay like butter when it's paint time..

I'll be going with the Spohn steering rebuild kit as well as the Spohn upper and lower control arms/ball joints as well...when you have a motor out you begin to think of everything you want to do before putting the car back on the road...now i see what being bitten by the 'bug' means when you're restoring a car. :mrgreen:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Re: 87 Regal Project- 307 Out- Pic Updates

To clean up the engine bay id start with a good power washing (Also spraying it down with a citrus based engine gunk cleaner does wonders for losing the grease) then use a die grinder to clean up the rough stuff and get it ready for paint.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
Re: 355 short block PICS- Fresh build

i picked up the finished short block from Chastains last Friday but didn't get it on the stand until last nite..i'm very pleased with the work..kinda wished i had gone with a new crank tho but it's all good..can't complain with pushinig over 400 horses ya know :twisted: i pick up the heads, pushrods and intake next week. going with the summit vortecs and the edelbrock performer rpm. hopefully the wife will let me use a little of that tax money but more than likely she won't...saul good tho..i'll just have to hustle up the rest. that's the fun in it i guess...looks like it'll be the end of summer before i'm ALMOST done. :|

DSC_3301.jpg

DSC_3305.jpg

DSC_3306.jpg

DSC_3303.jpg

I wrapped her back up after snapping a few shots and she'll be primed and painted on saturday. debating on chevy blue or orange...hopefully i can get to the engine bay by then as well...gonna take a page from the 80z Babiez crew and drop those wheel wells and get on those as well (i'll def be hitting up those elco warren youtube vids! props g!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor