87 regal ->Grand prix dash w/gauges

Status
Not open for further replies.

79GP6.6L

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2006
Upstate NY
Also, I can't find any pics of this at the moment, but some GP dashes take 3.5" speakers in the corners. My 79 dash didn't but my new dash came out of an 84 or 85 GP and it did. The speakers are very easy to install while the dash is out, and next to impossible to install when the dash is in. So if you wish to swap or add these speakers, do it when the dash is out.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
my dash has the 3.5 speakers in the corners & it has a provision for a 6x9 speaker in the middle as well. I havent installed the speakers yet but i will find a way to do it w/o re-pulling the dash.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's what I did too since I still haven't found a good reason to yank the dash out. I refuse to just for the stupid speakers.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
Yeah ima put 6x9s in the rear deck, i got 5 & 1/4 in the doors and ill be puttin a 6x9 up front. I think that will be plenty of beatz 4 da time being.

Heres the update, still a few gremlins so its time 4 mo trouble shooting.:
1. I wired up my rear defroster, all the wires matched up except for two, A fat sky blue wire from the grand prixharness & a orange wire w//black stripe from the regal. When i connected these last two wires(fat sky blue & orange w/black stripe ) and hit the defroester switch these two wires get very warm/hot, the electrical tape got real soft, came undone and the glue got tacky. I saw a flash in the switch and it shut off.

2. my heater isnt working/coming on.
3. my windsheild wipers arent working either

4. I tried the assec guages and the only one that worked was the batt/volts one. The needles in the other guages didnt move. Do the other guages require sending units? Also where are the sending units located?

5. i used the wires for the cig lighter bulb 4 my boost guage illumination, but does any1 kno how 2 run the vacume line from the port on the gauge 2 the turbo?

Attachments

• boostguageII.jpg
    boostguageII.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 2,433
  • boostguageI.jpg
    boostguageI.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,455

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
I kno its been a while but i finally got a chance to get back into my car.
got a few new questions & some old issues that still need to be resolved.

1. do you know where the defogger timer relay & blower motor resistor are located on a buick turbo regal or a n/a regal?
2. How hard is it to do the body mounts on a Gbody car?

+boost gauge works, thanx.
- I checked the wiper fuse (25 amp) and H-A/C fuse (25 amp), both are good & the wipers & H-A/C still dont work. When the car is running & i turn the heat on it hisses but the fan doesnt come on and blow. Any ideas?

-My power windows arent working, I tried brand new switches and they still dont work. When i use a battery box & jump the motor the windows do go up and down. Any ideas?

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
okay here is the update since the windows and blower now seem operational but when I put the vent on the high setting the interior lights flicker/dim and the blower doesn't turn on but when I put it on the lower settings it works, this might be the near dead battery in my car.

Does anyone have a grand prix defogger wiring schematic?

My wipers aren't working because the harness for the motor is missing, I plan to snag one out of another gbody but are they interchangeable with any other newer (more readily available ) gm models?
I have a few additional harness and I'm not sure what they do.
2 by the radio are pink/black & yellow wires with a #36 on the harness & dark blue, light blue, yellow & #29
1 harness by the glove box, white/grey stripe, green w/grey stripe & grey w/white stripe.

Someone_Much_Cooler

Greasemonkey
Oct 14, 2007
And here is the update the windows, blower are operational batter just needed to be charged & a vacume line hooked up for the hvac.

I think i figured out the problem with the grand prix defogger vs the regal one=they are two very different designes. so instead of splicing ill try and convert the whole thing to the GP set up.
wiring schematic?

My wipers aren't working because the harness for the motor is missing, I plan to snag one out of another gbody but are they interchangeable with any other newer (more readily available ) gm models?
I have a few additional harness and I'm not sure what they do.
2 by the radio are pink/black & yellow wires with a #36 on the harness & dark blue, light blue, yellow & #29
1 harness by the glove box, white/grey stripe, green w/grey stripe & grey w/white stripe.
2 weather pack connector that are by the wiper motor

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Be sure to get an 84' and up wiper harness. I'm pretty sure your's is hiding there somewhere, why would anyone remove it? Here's the GP defroster wiring.
IMG-8.jpg
Here's the wiper wiring for pulse. Standard is similar. You are looking for a pink, green, purple and grey set of wires. Plus a yellow pigtail that goes from one connector to the other.
IMG_0001-6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor