AC Accmulator

daufenbm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2023
I have a 84 ElCamino. I am looking to get the AC working again. I opened up the heater core and accumulator box to replace both but found no temp switch to the relay for the compressor clutch. Just found a crimped wire from the relay into another smaller gauge wire. Was this a bypass? Did they stop making this temp switch? I can't find it anywhere. It's supposed to mount with a simple hose clamp to the liquid side input(lower tube).

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The accumulator/dryer is attached to the outside of the box. Inside the box are the heater core and the evaporator core. Are you asking about the clutch cycling switch that is usually screwed onto the accumulator? As stated above a picture would be helpful

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The accumulator/dryer is attached to the outside of the box. Inside the box are the heater core and the evaporator core. Are you asking about the clutch cycling switch that is usually screwed onto the accumulator? As stated above a picture would be helpful
There are only two connections for the AC in the engine compartment. One to the Clutch on the Compressor and another one the Cycle Switch or sensor on the hard line at the accumulator. There maybe be a connector to the Junction Block on the Steering Gear to shut off the Compressor when the wheel is turned to a full lock position. At least this is what is on an 87 MC.

Attachments

• Electrical Connectors (2).jpg
    Electrical Connectors (2).jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: 1 user

daufenbm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2023
Excuse my wrong description. I was watching a Utube video showing a thin 1 wire twemp sensor with a black wire which attaches to th small tube of the evaporator with a simple hose clamp. It has one black wire which goes to the rectangular relay attached to the from of the box. The black wire is still in the relay but is crimped to a smaller gauge black wire which I believe if I trace it down will got to the AC clutch.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Ok, so here is the problem: You were watching a U-Tube Video! And..... there are no wire(s) of any color that would attach with a hose a hose clamp on anything in your car! You have to take it with a grain of salt on anything someone has already butchered up on U-Tube video car.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

daufenbm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2023
Ok, so here is the problem: You were watching a U-Tube Video! And..... there are no wire(s) of any color that would attach with a hose a hose clamp on anything in your car! You have to take it with a grain of salt on anything someone has already butchered up on U-Tube video car.
The wiring schematic also shows a switch from the black wire to the relay. This crim is what I'm looking at. It was wrapped in electrical tape like someone bypassed something

Attachments

• 16953365678077967364722223899475.jpg
    16953365678077967364722223899475.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45

daufenbm

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 21, 2023
The wiring schematic also shows a switch from the black wire to the relay. This crim is what I'm looking at. It was wrapped in electrical tape like someone bypassed something
Now it is possible that they went from switching the AC clutch from evaporator temp( avoid freeze ups) to the pressure switch in the accumulator and this was the quick factory fix to the harness. I just wanna get it right. I am converting to 134

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Now it is possible that they went from switching the AC clutch from evaporator temp( avoid freeze ups) to the pressure switch in the accumulator and this was the quick factory fix to the harness. I just wanna get it right. I am converting to 134
That is a factory crimp that is used at several locations to reduce the amount of wiring at has the same function. IE to bundle several grounds into one.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor