Carb/fuel problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the carb I'm using is a Holley spead bore (4175) and the motor (305) is stock. I had issues with the carb on my older GP where the carb was running too lean. The carb's original jets were 61 and I'm up to 65 but in hot weather the car idles like garbage. The carb is the repalcement for a Quadrajet so it is supposed to be plug and play. Even though I have increased the jets I have the idle screws bottomed out which in this carb being a reverse idle richens the mixture in order to make the car idle without stalling. The car runs better in cooler temps in idle (almost smooth) and performance and I'm not talking a drastic temp change, just a few degrees and before you ask the engine is not overheating. I am running the original metal fuel line to the carb from the pump. I am starting to think that the fuel is boiling at idle and causing the lean condition. I was thinking of putting an eletric fuel pump in and moving the line from it's stock route and I don't mind going up another 2 jet sizes but I hate trial and error. I'm open to suggestions and hoping someone in here has had the same problem and the solution.

Thanks

JWO Racing

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2006
Ontario Canada
Those carbs are notorious for giving people trouble. Send it to Kinectic Performance he can straighten it out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
JWO Racing said:
Those carbs are notorious for giving people trouble. Send it to Kinectic Performance he can straighten it out.

Thanks for the response...I think I'll head back to a quadrajet since this holley has never run consistantly at best. I have had it on two different 305's and had the same problems with each so when the "techs" at holley tried to pass it off with that it had to be a problem with some other set up on the engine they gave up when I told them about the two engines encountered the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor