Front suspention question

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
I have blazer spindles I will be putting on my 83 wagon. The car is tubbed and will be a big block blower car. I am trying to figure out the deal with the taller ball joint swap. Should I do both top and bottom or just one or the other? If the car lifts the wheels ide like all the geometry corrections. Also what shocks are some of you running? I was looking into 3 way adjustable because it will also be driven on the streets.
I have also seen a bit of discussion about guys taking front sway bars off on the streets and not seeing negative effects. I must be missing something they are doing because that seems like it could get you in some trouble on the street. Any advice?

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I've not seen any down sides to the tall ball joints. They are mainly for better handling, but shouldn't hurt on the strip.

I wouldn't run without a sway bar on the street. I've heard people even talking about how squirelly they can get just trying to keep them straight.

I'm running Bilstein's and the blazer brakes, but I'm on the street also.

Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
I think I’d rather limit the front end travel and keep the normal parts. If it’s a back half car you don’t need the front end travel. Limit it till the front wheels change the toe. And as far as front sway bars assuming you’re using little tires up front, the sway bar won’t really affect it. It’s really for body roll. A backhalved car already has limited body roll from the rear bars trying to stay parallel.

• Informative

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Absolutely do the tall upper and lower ball joints- 0.5" on the bottom and 0.5" or 1" up top. If you'll be using stock lower control arms you may consider welding a plate on the bottom to box it in and add rigidity- they can flex. If you're yanking the wheels off the ground then a bumpsteer correction kit might be a good addition in the name of safety. Do the math and buy the correct springs at a reasonable price but cut NO corners when selecting shocks. They are incredibly important and have much more of an effect than most think. You should buy the best shocks you can afford since you're trying to pull double duty, and having adjustability is cool but single adjustable leaves a lot on the table. If you can swing it buy D.A. with dials so you don't have to remove any bolts just to make changes- it's a pain and means less time driving. Bilstein, Edelbrock, KYB, and Afco are all excellent choices with the Edelbrock Performance IAS being very well suited to your needs. They were discontinued years ago, around the time big E sold their suspension line to QA1, another good supplier. They can occasionally be found on eBay but they're old now so....

I've driven multiple vehicles with defective or missing sway bars and I'll warn you: if you're used to having them you're likely to get into trouble when the car doesn't respond as you expect. Those quick 'accident avoidance' moves barely move the car at all, you'll be dealing with severe under/oversteer at different times and speeds, and you're more likely to roll the car or at the least turn the rear into the front. If the car is set up for the strip then it'll drive like it, which works here in KS but I don't know the topography of your area.

If given the option I'd always run front and rear sway bars on the street, especially with the additional weight of a BB. How big to go kind of depends on the weight, the springs, your driving style, etc but as 403Olds said I've seen people get ran over so I'd always run it on the street. A big front sway bar is better if your coil springs are light for easy weight transfer. A rear sway bar also has a tremendous effect on the steering, as does a Wolfe Racecraft style ARB such as on a "back halved" car like bracketchev1221 stated.

I believe you'll also want every single brace that you can add to your frame, and that topic has been covered very well over the years so there's some good reading material. In addition to the fine parts that UMI offers, H R Parts 'n Stuff, TRZ, and Trick Chassis have some things that you may like.

In a nutshell: a street car and a strip car have entirely different suspension needs and finding the correct setup to satisfy yours will take a bit of trial and error. Don't let the errors be deadly ones.

• Agree

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Taller ball joints effectively improve the front suspension geometry like having a taller spindle. A longer bottom also lowers the ride height of the car without changing the angle, height or position of the lower arm.

One issue, which is Minor. I used UMI lower control arms with the taller ball joint AND Blazer spindles. The steering limiter is now not hitting the stopper in the middle. At full suspension extension. If the steering is at full crank, it can actually jump over the stopper. Some may argue that a car will rarely be in this scenario but it's should be mentioned for you to decide.

As for anti sway bar. Omitting it is like someone saying, I made my handling worse but I didn't have any issues. Make that decision on your own. If you prefer better handling, run it.

Reactions: 3 users

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
I will be keeping my sway bar on, what ball joint combo works best with the sway bar limiting travel. Ide like to keep the wheels as straight as possible with both the suspention at full compression and hung. Thanks for the info keep it coming

Roblq84

Apprentice
Oct 29, 2023
I made it a point to install a front sway bar on my backhalfed car , even a small one totally helped keep the front planted for street use

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor