Fuel Filter Change

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I haven't heard that saying, so I guess I've been successfully doing it wrong for 30 years. Heard way too many stories of engine fires from filters up by the carb.
Well I don't know about wrong or right placement of a plastic filter element but I do agree that mounting the filter down low prevents covering everything in gas if it fails.

It's my understanding that paper filters are slightly more of a restriction than SS due to their density, and this can cause extra strain on a pump. Block mounted pumps rely on atmospheric pressure to get fuel from the tank with minor suction occurring, and fewer restrictions is always better. If the paper filter should disintegrate then the pump can become clogged, the other option of course being the inlet screen on the carb. It's also worth noting that paper filters in a plastic housing shouldn't be mounted pre-pump, as the thin walled ones can flex in and out and lessen the flow. But for most people it's probably not an issue.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Changed it out earlier, mr gasket clearview to wix metal can filter.

I took the cleaview apart, the rubber seal looked fine, it was pinched or not sitting correctly in the outlet side end cap, both inlet and outlet side as a matter a fact, other than that, it was snugged together tightly, about 2yrs of use and not a single leak/issue till now, go figure.

Attachments

• filter 1.JPG
    filter 1.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 9
  • filter 2.JPG
    filter 2.JPG
    464.5 KB · Views: 8
  • gilter 3.JPG
    gilter 3.JPG
    561.2 KB · Views: 10

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I like to put the filter between the frame hardline and the fuel pump. Keeps any risk of leaks down low off the engine. I had a friend that had the glass one leak up on top of the engine, so ever since then, I've always thought about the what if's.....
Same way I run mine, have for years, never an issue

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
I like to put the filter between the frame hardline and the fuel pump. Keeps any risk of leaks down low off the engine. I had a friend that had the glass one leak up on top of the engine, so ever since then, I've always thought about the what if's.....
Im sure the way i've put my fuel filter above the front of the intake for now looks unfavorable to some, but i plan on fixing that.

When i get the chance, i plan on installing the filter just after the ouput of the mechanical fuel pump so it runs vertically along the front of the engine block and cylinder head so its better cooled by the belt driven fan when on the road.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Im sure the way i've put my fuel filter above the front of the intake for now looks unfavorable to some, but i plan on fixing that.

When i get the chance, i plan on installing the filter just after the ouput of the mechanical fuel pump so it runs vertically along the front of the engine block and cylinder head so its better cooled by the belt driven fan when on the road.
something like this?
20240429_163456.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I honestly can't believe that anyone even uses those glass filters anymore. Not to mention that they shouldn't even make them or be legal to use. The only thing they are good for is setting your car on fire. They just screw together and have no way of locking tightly and since its glass you can't torque them very much. So what happens is they constantly come loose from the normal vibrations of driving and the engine running.
I have seen way to many nice cars burn to the ground from a fire caused by a fuel leak and guess what filter a good majority of them had....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I honestly can't believe that anyone even uses those glass filters anymore. Not to mention that they shouldn't even make them or be legal to use. The only thing they are good for is setting your car on fire. They just screw together and have no way of locking tightly and since its glass you can't torque them very much. So what happens is they constantly come loose from the normal vibrations of driving and the engine running.
I have seen way to many nice cars burn to the ground from a fire caused by a fuel leak and guess what filter a good majority of them had....
I have used the glass filter for years, never leaked. OEM used glass bowl filters for years decades ago.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I've never had an issue with the glass filter but I've only used them for about 40 years. My 383 uses -6AN fittings so it had to be changed. Mine is also mounted vertically right after the mechanical fuel pump.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Most times I see them, they're in the middle of a length of hose that isn't very well-restrained.

The OEs used glass bowls at the carb for a LONG time (out of harm's way) Hell, my tractor still has one on it.

I feel like the glass would be best higher up, near the carb, to prevent the possibility of road debris striking it, although that's a pretty small likliehood in the grand scheme.

I just use the metal filter and change it every couple of years, but I started with a new tank and sender

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor