CUTLASS Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
I'd agree with blk7gxn. Check the vacuum lines first. If you can check the engine timing with the engine at operating temperatures, check it. Jump pins A to B on the ALCL and check timing again. It should change. If it does not change then the troubleshooting tree points at HEI Module issues or as earlier pointed out EST/ECM grounding or terminal issues.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
I would check the trans dip stick for fluid color and smell first. Not sure I would go for a transmission rebuild yet.

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
Sounds like a great parts changer and not a mechanic.

He needs a little Lebanese lightning to accidently strike his shop.

Where are you at with getting your $2000 back?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

88brougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 17, 2019
Heater core, battery, alternator, a rebuild of the orig ECM controlled carb which had to be removed anyway and replaced with a mechanical carb. New distributor which also had to be removed and replaced with a vacuum style dist and work without the ECM. Had the car for months, got it back filthy and a broken power antenna. The whole ordeal made me lose interest in the car and I’m thinking of parting with it to be honest.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

88brougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 17, 2019
I got the old parts back. Pretty much useless for me since they won’t work without a computer. I can sell them online to recover some of the $.

Olds G's

Greasemonkey
Apr 6, 2020
CT
The Cadillac/Chevy/Buick dealer in town here has 2 techs on staff who are about five hundred years old each that deal with our vintage cars specifically. I'll ask them tomorrow if they know a reputable tech or shop out your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor