My (slow) RKE conversion

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Been working on another idea I'd like to add to the set up, having it be somewhat like the newer systems that will when locking the car the four ways flash & the horn would give a beep. This is something I've gotten used to from my trucks over the years. I'm do need to figure out if it should be a direct hard wire to the hazard & horn circuits simular to the way the brake warning light works with a feed from two grounding sources (pedal switch & pressure switch) which completes the light when either is activated. My theory is when the Lock button is pressed, power sent to the lock relay would also be sent to each to give a quick enough pulse to trigger each. I am also thinking a relay may be needed & be the better route to send the needed pulse with the needed charge to make everything work as I believe it should. At this point it looks like Jr.'s car will be the test subject for this as I want add power locks with the RKE (dispite him saying it wasn't original & not a fan of adding it). I'll have to set a test harness to see if this is possible with or with out the relay.

Reactions: 2 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
If/when I ever get my Elcamino on the road, I plan on doing rke with it too. I also was wanting it to beep the horn and flash the park lights or turn signals. Obviously there is already a relay for the horn that you can tap into, but I was going to add a relay for the park lights too. I was actually going to add a relay anyways for the lights to keep some of the load off of the light switch, so all you would have to do is run the trigger wire to the rke module and the light switch. I'm not sure if the rke module would like backfeeding on it all the time though when the park lights are on, so it MIGHT need a diode in the wire.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If/when I ever get my Elcamino on the road, I plan on doing rke with it too. I also was wanting it to beep the horn and flash the park lights or turn signals. Obviously there is already a relay for the horn that you can tap into, but I was going to add a relay for the park lights too. I was actually going to add a relay anyways for the lights to keep some of the load off of the light switch, so all you would have to do is run the trigger wire to the rke module and the light switch. I'm not sure if the rke module would like backfeeding on it all the time though when the park lights are on, so it MIGHT need a diode in the wire.
When I first put together a test harness I used lights to ensure the three functions (lock, unlock & trunk) worked. Then I added the power motors & switches with the lights with only the RKE tripping the light assigned to each function when selected. So on small scale there's no issue but with all bulbs used for with the hazards could have a load issue. As for a back feed, I don't think that'll be an issue since I didn't have that issue when I first tested everything. Everything will be fully tested to ensure my theory can go to function.

Reactions: 1 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
When I first put together a test harness I used lights to ensure the three functions (lock, unlock & trunk) worked. Then I added the power motors & switches with the lights with only the RKE tripping the light assigned to each function when selected. So on small scale there's no issue but with all bulbs used for with the hazards could have a load issue. As for a back feed, I don't think that'll be an issue since I didn't have that issue when I first tested everything. Everything will be fully tested to ensure my theory can go to function.
It was just a thought that you might have to use a relay and/or a diode. I've run into it before that even though things work for a little bit, they might not like being back fed into long term. I don't remember seeing, did you ever get the interior dimming to work?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It was just a thought that you might have to use a relay and/or a diode. I've run into it before that even though things work for a little bit, they might not like being back fed into long term. I don't remember seeing, did you ever get the interior dimming to work?
I haven't got it figured out yet but I am going back to that issue to try again.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor