New Windshield! Mirror doesnt fit... 😞

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
After accidentally breaking my old mirror trying to modify it to fit my new mount on my new windshield, I need a source for mirrors that fit the new tab.
All I know is the new mirror has a slot that is 23mm at its widest and tapers to 19mm. Old mirror tab is straight.

Or am I over thinking this and should I just get a Dorman mirror and glue that on?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So did you get a new windshield that has the newer style tab on it? When I got a new windshield for my Monte the tab was different but the installer gave me a mirror.
For my Regal with the original windshield I just bought a rear view mirror with map lights from the junk yard and ripped the tab and mirror off the windshield and cut the wiring harness and then I lightly heated my factory tab with a BBQ lighter and twisted it off with channel locks and then glued the new tab to my windshield and wired up and mounted the new mirror.

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So did you get a new windshield that has the newer style tab on it? When I got a new windshield for my Monte the tab was different but the installer gave me a mirror.
For my Regal with the original windshield I just bought a rear view mirror with map lights from the junk yard and ripped the tab and mirror off the windshield and cut the wiring harness and then I lightly heated my factory tab with a BBQ lighter and twisted it off with channel locks and then glued the new tab to my windshield and wired up and mounted the new mirror.
Yes newer tab. They gave me a mirror but it was ugly and was just loose enough to change positions over potholes.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm going to call around and see if I can get a PPG or Pilkington rather than the Asian sourced windshields that seem common.
PPG as a glass maker isn't around like it used to be. Was spun off to LKQ & now is Pittsburgh Glass Works (PGW). Not sure if LKQ retained the quality but their glass used for replacements on the work trucks seem OK. But like most things today quality isn't as important as profit.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What brand windshields are these so I can keep an eye out when I buy one for my Grand National?
Probably Chinese. It's nice enough for $275 it cost to install it. Local newish shop. Called em in the am guy ran out and got one that afternoon.

Reactions: 1 users

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
I had the same issue on my Monte windshield. Tab was beveled and I had 3 straight side mirrors. Grabbed a newer mirror from a car a junker had

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Can you look in the bottom corner of the windshield and tell me what the etched on label says?
Sorry kept forgetting to snap a pic lol
Besides an AS1 on both sides near the top, this is what's on it.
20240404_164205.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor