Oxy/acetylene parts questions

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I need to replace my acetylene torch twin hoses so I figured I would replace the flashback arrestors/check valves at the same time. My old Sears torch was made by Harris and I have been happy with the Harris replacement parts. I only see the Harris 88-5FBR and 88-5FBT arrestors available. I know R is regulator mount and T is torch mount. Does anyone know what the 88-5 numbers indicate? The threads are the 'B' 9/16-18 which is what my torch uses. The hoses that came with the Sears torch are 3/16". Most replacements I see are 1/4", while 3/16" are harder to find. Is using 1/4" a problem? The originals are R rated for acetylene only. T rated are for acetylene and all other gasses but more importantly, T rated hoses are flame and oil resistant. That seems a better choice just for safety. What do you think?
harris-flashback-arrestor-set-regulator-mount-4301651-28.jpg

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, it doesn't matter much because these are all that is available. There are only CS, check valves, and BF, backflash arrestors available. Then there are A, B, and C type fittings, B being the most common. I learned that the larger ones are for very high volume and have a thermal shut off incorporated. That is in case of a sustained flashback. I also learned that having one cylinder very low on gas can be overcome by the higher pressure tank and cause back- mixing, and a flashback. 40 years playing with fire and I am still learning. I ordered the Harris flashback arrestors, which have check valves built in, and I will use both the torch and regulator mounted types. Yeah, I am a belt-and-braces kind of guy. As for the hose, lots of options, most are imported crap. The reviews are horrible with cracking and bursting a common complaint. I did manage to find some Anchor/Best Welds Made-In-USA hose that uses Continental hose. I got a great price at an industrial supplier in Illinois. I opted for the T rated type for the fire/oil resistance factor. I also found out that my Sears torch made by Harris is still in production, it is that good. I see NOS Sears units on Fleabay but why bother when brand new stuff is available? So as soon as these things arrive I will be back in business.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor