PSA - Re: Online Buying & PMs...

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
There's been an uptick in other forums I participate in of fraud, and, it follows a fairly similar format on all of them where ive been made aware of it. Because of that, although I've no reason to suspect it is about to show up here, there's also no reason it couldn't.

Here's what they do:

1) they create an account.

2) they make a minimal number of posts. Although 'post count' no longer displays here as a default, you can still see how long a member has been around and their post count by clicking their profile.

3) they tend to find old posts, copy them, then paste them as new. 99.99% are done verbatim, but, a few have started making tiny changes, just enough that copying their post and searching doesn't show a straight match. So possibly this piece is evolving.

4) they send a PM to members offering to sell them a part. Sometimes based on a wanted ad. Sometimes based on a post content that implies they dont have something, or, it is damaged. This buys them time since other members don't see how many 'pending transactions' there are and start comparing stories of how this are, or more exactly aren't, happening. But they're using PM offers and NOT posting for sale ads to fall under the radar.

5) they get paid, take the money, and disappear - no longer responding to messages.

Tips outside the obvious?

Well, for starters, I prefer offering to buy, or to sell, in a public post. Feel free to go to PM afterwards, if preferred.

Beware of how you pay, and what recourse there is for your payment method.

If you get sent a picture, copy it, and use Google image search to see if it's a stock image floating the web. You can also ask something in particular be placed in the photo.

Discuss expectations up-front with a seller. For certain items, you may be able to offer a prepaid shipping label if their shipping costs seems high that they affix to their box, but, you paid for. An unused label may be refundable depending on the service you're using.

We've got a good group here so far, and, hopefully it'll remain that way. But also stay alert on your other forums...

Reactions: 8 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Quite a few in other groups I'm in have been someone posting a WTB (Want to Buy) post, they get a pm by fake account saying something along the lines "My friend has that, contact him at this email..".

100% SPAM.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
There's been an uptick in other forums I participate in of fraud, and, it follows a fairly similar format on all of them where ive been made aware of it. Because of that, although I've no reason to suspect it is about to show up here, there's also no reason it couldn't.

Here's what they do:

1) they create an account.

2) they make a minimal number of posts. Although 'post count' no longer displays here as a default, you can still see how long a member has been around and their post count by clicking their profile.

3) they tend to find old posts, copy them, then paste them as new. 99.99% are done verbatim, but, a few have started making tiny changes, just enough that copying their post and searching doesn't show a straight match. So possibly this piece is evolving.

4) they send a PM to members offering to sell them a part. Sometimes based on a wanted ad. Sometimes based on a post content that implies they dont have something, or, it is damaged. This buys them time since other members don't see how many 'pending transactions' there are and start comparing stories of how this are, or more exactly aren't, happening. But they're using PM offers and NOT posting for sale ads to fall under the radar.

5) they get paid, take the money, and disappear - no longer responding to messages.

Tips outside the obvious?

Well, for starters, I prefer offering to buy, or to sell, in a public post. Feel free to go to PM afterwards, if preferred.

Beware of how you pay, and what recourse there is for your payment method.

If you get sent a picture, copy it, and use Google image search to see if it's a stock image floating the web. You can also ask something in particular be placed in the photo.

Discuss expectations up-front with a seller. For certain items, you may be able to offer a prepaid shipping label if their shipping costs seems high that they affix to their box, but, you paid for. An unused label may be refundable depending on the service you're using.

We've got a good group here so far, and, hopefully it'll remain that way. But also stay alert on your other forums...
I am shocked, SHOCKED, that they are actually putting in some work to try and scam you.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
This is the only forum I'm in and have only bought a couple of things here from members I see on here all the time. I've sold a few things as well to known members. If I were to sell something to a newer member I'll wait for payment to clear and I wouldn't buy from newer members I haven't seen on here as regulars.

I work too hard to live paycheck to 3 days before paycheck.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor