rear coilovers v rear lowering springs

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
having the option to dial in the ride height with a set up like Shawn's is pretty sweet.i'm running a 1" UMI spring MINUS the upper urethane isolator(that's roughly 3/8")on a 255/45/18 wheel/tire combo. View attachment 237818
thanks, i'll crunch the #s on that over the weekend & see what i come up with, i assume thats a monte carlo rear?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Serious question....

Never used coilovers. It was my impression that shock mount points are really not designed to carry the full weight of the car and it's suspension movement. An example would be air shocks on a tri-5 chevy..... the shock mounts are famous for ripping out. Seems like I recall readingf that first-gen F bodies also have shock mount issues

This is where my question comes in...do coilovers require/include a beefed-up mounting system? Especially given that many cars are 40+ years old and from corrosive environments. I would think that might impact OE parts like lower control arms.
oh 1 thing i did hear of and i got comment on his coilovers (gbody) is he takes his car to the track a lot and destroyed his coilover after a season or 2 and its not drag more of a course type track so its quite a beating they take..

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
IMG_2590.png

These ride in the factory spring pockets. Afco makes a similar setup.

For the rears coilovers can ride in the factory shock mount location with a spring tower support without issue.

Don’t overthink it.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Serious question....

Never used coilovers. It was my impression that shock mount points are really not designed to carry the full weight of the car and it's suspension movement. An example would be air shocks on a tri-5 chevy..... the shock mounts are famous for ripping out. Seems like I recall readingf that first-gen F bodies also have shock mount issues

This is where my question comes in...do coilovers require/include a beefed-up mounting system? Especially given that many cars are 40+ years old and from corrosive environments. I would think that might impact OE parts like lower control arms.

This is in fact a solid and debatable concern. Some cars for sure need bracing, support or should not be using the shock mount to carry the load of the car. Like L05 said, there has never been any reported failures.

On a G body in particular. The top of the rears go to frame to a beefy bracket. In the case of ViKings, they came with an insert that will spread the load.

Attachments

• 20240413_113624.jpg
    20240413_113624.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
Reactions: 1 user

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
This is in fact a solid and debatable concern. Some cars for sure need bracing, support or should not be using the shock mount to carry the load of the car. Like L05 said, there has never been any reported failures.

On a G body in particular. The top of the rears go to frame to a beefy bracket. In the case of ViKings, they came with an insert that will spread the load.
If anyone is questioning strength, an upper shock mount bar/brace & something that spreads the load would eliminate week spots. Same for the lower mounts. Doubling the material to help spread load would be effective there as well.

Reactions: 1 users

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor