Vin decode

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
Thanks for adding me.
I’m looking to see if anyone can decode my 1980 Malibu. It’s a 4 speed but not sure if it’s factory or someone swapped it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpeg
    IMG_1649.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hahaha.

80 is Model year.
10D is month/week scheduled to be built. In this case, October, 4th week, 1979.
1 is for Chevrolet
A is for A-body
T27 - base Malibu 2 door
K is for build plant, Leeds plant, Missouri (Kansas City)
046039 Fisher body number (for internal tracking)
62C interior color/material saddle cloth
19L, 19U single color, lower upper, 19 is black
L is for lacquer paint
20 0183(?) not sure about these numbers. Never found a difiinitive GM document to explain. It may have to do with which plant, as some plants used them, others did not. Tags were put on by Fisher, so that numbers had to be assigned with whatever meaning they should have had when the plate was made. Some think they're production job numbers, but that seems kinda stupid since the body number is technically the de facto job number. Everything is tied to that body number.

As for 4-speed factory or not, it COULD be. There's no way to absolutely tell by the body tag in this instance. They usually didn't put transmission codes on the body tag since Fisher basically only gave a crap as to what needed to happen to the BODY during assembly since the VIN tag wasn't assigned at the same time the tag was made.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
Thanks for adding me.
I’m looking to see if anyone can decode my 1980 Malibu. It’s a 4 speed but not sure if it’s factory or someone swapped it in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hahaha.

80 is Model year.
10D is month/week scheduled to be built. In this case, October, 4th week, 1979.
1 is for Chevrolet
A is for A-body
T27 - base Malibu 2 door
K is for build plant, Leeds plant, Missouri (Kansas City)
046039 Fisher body number (for internal tracking)
62C interior color/material saddle cloth
19L, 19U single color, lower upper, 19 is black
L is for lacquer paint
20 0183(?) not sure about these numbers. Never found a difiinitive GM document to explain. It may have to do with which plant, as some plants used them, others did not. Tags were put on by Fisher, so that numbers had to be assigned with whatever meaning they should have had when the plate was made. Some think they're production job numbers, but that seems kinda stupid since the body number is technically the de facto job number. Everything is tied to that body number.

As for 4-speed factory or not, it COULD be. There's no way to absolutely tell by the body tag in this instance. They usually didn't put transmission codes on the body tag since Fisher basically only gave a crap as to what needed to happen to the BODY during assembly since the VIN tag wasn't assigned at the same time the tag was made.

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
Wow thank you for this great info. This is what I was looking for. Pretty sure it’s factory 3 or 4 speed. Just not sure on trans and motor combo. It has 350 with Saginaw 4 speed in it.
Thanks again for this info. I really appreciate it.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
BUT the body would need to be cut for the floor shift, this is called out on the tag on older stuff

Also, your car was born with a bench seat.

Does it have the correct steering column for the manual trans, the one with the key release lever?

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
BUT the body would need to be cut for the floor shift, this is called out on the tag on older stuff

Also, your car was born with a bench seat.

Does it have the correct steering column for the manual trans, the one with the key release lever?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Might have been a "stripper" (base engine/3 speed manual), being a base car. Seems like there were MANY more Malibu Classics built versus the base Malibu

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Best way to see if it was a factory 4 speed is checking the engine block three letter code on the front passenger side pad. That code will be CEA for a 305 4bbl & will have a 3.08 gear ratio. Keep in mind the last six of the vin should be with it.

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
Yes it does have the correct column with key lock lever. The floor looks factory cut towards the dash but definitely cut back farther back by someone else. Maybe to fit the Indy shifter?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor