Vin decode

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Something is different.

MY bet is they didn't account for the factory 3 speed/4 speed shifters/handles are mounted FORWARD of the typical tail mounted 4 speed shifters most cars use. I recall something about the way reverse is on the 4 speed Saginaw transmissions and the seat positions. This would necessitate the reason to expand the hole rearward on a standard 4-speed transmission swap.

Maybe the Malibu experts can hop in and support/debunk this theory.

19804speed

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 1, 2024
Something is different.

MY bet is they didn't account for the factory 3 speed/4 speed shifters/handles are mounted FORWARD of the typical tail mounted 4 speed shifters most cars use. I recall something about the way reverse is on the 4 speed Saginaw transmissions and the seat positions. This would necessitate the reason to expand the hole rearward on a standard 4-speed transmission swap.

Maybe the Malibu experts can hop in and support/debunk this theory.
Hmm very possible. I wasn’t sure if it was cut to fit the Indy straight stick shifter. Great info. I appreciate all the intel. Had a 79 auto years ago and always wanted one with 4 speed. So I jumped on the opportunity. So far I’m in love with this mild cruiser. Thanks again.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor