Battery? Alternator? Multimeter? Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Ok so i have been havig this problem with my charging system, upgrade to a cs130 with ES82 with resistor for more amp to run system, my amps, stereo lights, hids, etc

I found out how to use a multi meter and results are unknown, i tried what my alt guy told me and still the same.. Watch vid and tell me what u think..

[youtube]FbG1YT1vj1E[/youtube]

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Santos,
The alternator should be putting out around 14.5 volts. It's obviously not energizing the alternator, which equates to not charging your battery. Have you changed anything in your dash? Do you still have the oil pressure warning light going to the sender? The reason I ask is that I've had the same problem. My brown energizer lead went open, and charge light stopped working. I temporarily connected a jumper wire from my oil pressure warning light to the energizer lead on the alternator.
It actually started charging. Don't cut the plug.
You can check the ohms coming from the charge wire. Do a search on the site, and you'll find a whole thread on the subject.
It will cover checking the lead for resistance.

BTW, IIRC, I ran a new wire to replace the brown lead that tested open. I think I connected to a switched +12 volt source on the fuse box and used a resistor (from Radio Shack) inline. I didn't buy the adapter plug. I didn't cut any wires. If anything, I used connectors.

I'll almost guarantee that the alternator is not being energized, especially that you said it tested okay.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Longroof79 said:
Santos,
The alternator should be putting out around 14.5 volts. It's obviously not energizing the alternator, which equates to not charging your battery. Have you changed anything in your dash? Do you still have the oil pressure warning light going to the sender? The reason I ask is that I've had the same problem. My brown energizer lead went open, and charge light stopped working. I temporarily connected a jumper wire from my oil pressure warning light to the energizer lead on the alternator.
It actually started charging. Don't cut the plug.
You can check the ohms coming from the charge wire. Do a search on the site, and you'll find a whole thread on the subject.
It will cover checking the lead for resistance.

BTW, IIRC, I ran a new wire to replace the brown lead that tested open. I think I connected to a switched +12 volt source on the fuse box and used a resistor (from Radio Shack) inline. I didn't buy the adapter plug. I didn't cut any wires. If anything, I used connectors.

I'll almost guarantee that the alternator is not being energized, especially that you said it tested okay.

No factory oil presure gauge, all after market gauges... The brown wire i do see but that goes inside the fire wall i guess to the dash, so where does that brown wire go? Im confused.. Member wires are a nightmare for me..

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
No factory oil presure gauge, all after market gauges... The brown wire i do see but that goes inside the fire wall i guess to the dash, so where does that brown wire go? Im confused.. Member wires are a nightmare for me..[/quote]

I didn't mean factory oil pressure gauge. I actually meant the wire that comes off of the sending unit near the distributor for the oil pressure warning light. It should be a green wire.
I used it as a temporary test connection going to the "L" lead of the alternator, or where your white wire on the plug goes to.
It excites the alternator like the original charge light does.
It worked on mine when the alternator wasn't putting out.

The brown wire connects into the plug behind the gauge cluster...which then connects to the gen. warning light in the factory gauge.
Most newer G-body cars did not have an alternator warning light.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Longroog79:

Ohhhh i see what ur talking about the green oil wire thats usually on the side of block to swith on the oil pressure light...

Ok ok so do i connect that one to the "s" or the "l" in the alternator.. Going out aide to see if i can findd it.. BRB lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I looked at the time and I thought you were working pretty late, it's 10:26 here but for you in California it's only 7:26...and probably still sunny... :|

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
pontiacgp said:
I looked at the time and I thought you were working pretty late, it's 10:26 here but for you in California it's only 7:26...and probably still sunny... :|

Lol no its dark know and wife came out to see what the hell im doing... Ok so found the green wire.. So it disconnect my stock connec tor and go direct to alt? L or S ?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
pontiacgp said:

Lol no its dark know and wife came out to see what the hell im doing... Ok so found the green wire.. So it disconnect my stock connector and go direct to alt? L or S ?

Connect a wire between that connection and where the "L" lead goes to the alternator. You did once have the oil pressure warning light, didn't you?
It should simulate the alternator light, which should excite your alternator to charge.
It's later out here, or I would take a few pictures to show you what I mean.

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
Longroof79:

Ok so i connected the green wire to the "L" and then the "S" just to see if there was a differnce, i disconnected the CI connector ES82 and ran the green wire stright to the alt, am i suppose to see a difference right a way in the multimeter? Cause i didnt , i did the same process and cranked the motor and it dropped to 11.96 lower than before... So is that right? Pics would be nice :) lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor