79 Cutlass Calais Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
I got this eninge from my brother in law, but I only want the block. If anyone want parts off it let me know.

Attachments

• 2012-04-14_18.30.36.jpg
    2012-04-14_18.30.36.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,336

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
1979Calais said:
hurst1979olds said:
Nice looking car. I will be looking forward to seeing more of this. Being its a Calais if you ever come across another set of grills be sure to hold on to them. Its good to keep "crash" parts like that around, just in case. They are hard to come by. Luckily I was able to buy a complete 79 H/O(same grill as calais) header panel with the grills in them.

Thanks,
When I first started looking for part, this guy that has been selling olds parts told me that my car is the hardest to find parts for. I got another set of them, because I have a broken bracket. I am also about to buy another set off Ebay.
Try finding parts for a salon. :) I was going to ask, why not put an Olds engine in it, but then I saw you have a 305 in it now.
As far as the interior goes, I've got the same color interior(that light blue) and the vinyl panels have faded out to grey on mine also. Theer's a guy on e-pay the sells leather/vinyl dyes in aerosol. He has 1 the looks pretty close to my original, I might give it a try. Good luck on the build.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Depends on how custom/radical you want to go. In my opinion, the GM crate engines are tough to beat. All NEW parts, a documented power rating, plus a warranty. There's a million ways to build a SBC. You often can't duplicate a crate motor for the cost from GM.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
HP costs money. Pace has a pretty big selection.
http://paceperformance.com/c-142522-eng ... gines.html
Summit, JEGS, Speedway, etc. all have reputable crate motors with good warranties. If there's a local engine builder, I'd check with them too. I would advise against something like an ebay engine from a builder you've never heard of. It may be fine but on the off chance you do have any issues it could turn into a nightmare getting it set straight. You have a better chance with either a large national supplier or someone local to you.

1979Calais

G-Body Guru
Oct 25, 2011
Maryland
DRIVEN said:
HP costs money. Pace has a pretty big selection.

You right about that. I have the same 305 that came with the car, but it has been rebuit and bored 30 over with stock cam. It runs pretty fast, but I do not know how much HP it has. I am really just trying to get a little more than what it has now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor