80 Cutlass Supreme - Steering wobbly and shifter column off track.

80Cutlasszupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2024
Hi folks. I have torn down my steering column and tightened the 4 bolts. I followed the steps of a previous video posted here. I am still wobbly at the base, my tilt doesn't flex, and my shifter column is slipping and not aligned. I would love any insight you might have on where else to look for the root cause.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Something is wrong or worn out. Sounds like you need to pull it back apart and find the issue.

I’ve battled with one column for an extended period to find that I wasn’t getting proper torque on the upper bearing due to splines weren’t good. I think I had it together and apart 4 or 5 times before I found the issue. It was worth in the end though.

Reactions: 2 users

80Cutlasszupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2024
Something is wrong or worn out. Sounds like you need to pull it back apart and find the issue.

I’ve battled with one column for an extended period to find that I wasn’t getting proper torque on the upper bearing due to splines weren’t good. I think I had it together and apart 4 or 5 times before I found the issue. It was worth in the end though.
Thx for that. You are right. I took it to a classic shop for a second opinion. Turns out the column is worn and I'm better off replacing. I'm going to try and replace it myself. Can I do that from the top side?

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
To be honest I'd stick with a original column from another G. That aftermarket has to be made to fit your car. Somebody here may have a good tilt colunm on hand. Just remember the '78 colunms have a splined shaft for the lower shaft as the '79 & newer had the doulble "D".

Reactions: 2 users

80Cutlasszupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2024
To be honest I'd stick with a original column from another G. That aftermarket has to be made to fit your car. Somebody here may have a good tilt colunm on hand. Just remember the '78 colunms have a splined shaft for the lower shaft as the '79 & newer had the doulble "D".
So you may have been right, unless I need an additional part to match things up. I ordered a new one and confirmed with Jegs. Both are double D, but the new one has no bolt hole amd things look a little different.

Attachments

• 20240406_132942.jpg
    20240406_132942.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240406_132542.jpg
    20240406_132542.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240406_132520.jpg
    20240406_132520.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10

80Cutlasszupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2024
So you may have been right, unless I need an additional part to match things up. I ordered a new one and confirmed with Jegs. Both are double D, but the new one has no bolt hole amd things look a little different.

Attachments

• 20240406_132509.jpg
    20240406_132509.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Thx for that. You are right. I took it to a classic shop for a second opinion. Turns out the column is worn and I'm better off replacing. I'm going to try and replace it myself. Can I do that from the top side?
It’s possible it could be past the point of needing new earnings, but I’ve never seen one that bad unless someone used vice grips in the threads.

I’m sure you could locate a used tilt column. But there is nothing wrong with an aftermarket column if that’s what you want.

Reactions: 1 user

80Cutlasszupreme

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2024
It’s possible it could be past the point of needing new earnings, but I’ve never seen one that bad unless someone used vice grips in the threads.

I’m sure you could locate a used tilt column. But there is nothing wrong with an aftermarket column if that’s what you want.
That's a good point. Im probably going to keep the old one and fix it as a side. I feel like I can fix it. I know it needs new bearings, and is probably lose at the point where the gear selector rod attaches. I probably just needed to go one more step to get to the root. I should probably ask the mechanic more questions about his diagnosis. Thx!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor