87 Buick V8 307 Stalling after driving 20-30 Minutes

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Got a 1987 Buick Regal Limited and keeps stalling after warming up. After stalling let rest a few mins and fires right back up and can go maybe a mile and stall out again. Manual fuel pump was replaced ~9 months ago. Changes out throttle position senor. All new wires and spark plugs along with distributor cap and coil. Help! Thanks
Do yu hear all the tappets start to click after warm up if and when your main bearings there are worn out when oil gets hot it thins out then and it all gushes out the bottom past the worn main (crank)bearings and dosnt supply the tappets (lifter) there fore they collapse yes collapse the valves barely open you have no powere to take off or sipp gas past throttle at a high enough speed wah lah you let car set 90 minets then you can drive about 4 er 5 miles WORN MAINS NO BABBETT or aluminium no go. had a pontiac 400 same Thang crank bearings shot you will need to take your oil pan off and replace all the inserts use aluminium faced bearings if you can find them seriously ...ps ....should you encounter a motor with dried oil and filth in the crankcase or both it will behave simularly...for you fuel " sys guy's ( and neubes)uh valves barly opening ? Is a fuel system typo;... but has to do with a" lack of breathing", lol

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Does it stall in park or only in gear?

Tore

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2024
Does it stall in park or only in gear?
Both..... so after ~20min driving will stall then I will leave off for a min or so and will start right back up and drive again for a mile or so. When I get the car finally back home I left it idling for about 10 min and it will stall out.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
燃油系统有问题

Since we’re all either going to die or have to learn Mandarin in the near future, the above translates to “Something wrong with fuel system “. Lol

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I am still getting spark when car stalls
How did you test for spark? A failing HEI can still spark against the block or in a regular spark tester giving a false positive reading but still not spark right in the cylinder. That is why a HEI spark tester must be used as it has a built in resistor to prevent false positive readings. An HEI spark tester will have HEI stamped on the side. Sparking against a ground or a regular spark tester isn't foolproof.

Tore

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2024
How did you test for spark? A failing HEI can still spark against the block or in a regular spark tester giving a false positive reading but still not spark right in the cylinder. That is why a HEI spark tester must be used as it has a built in resistor to prevent false positive readings. An HEI spark tester will have HEI stamped on the side. Sparking against a ground or a regular spark tester isn't foolproof.
1706633438684.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Well, that puts that to bed.

The other option is to grab a screwdriver by the shaft and jam it up into the #1 spark plug wire boot while grounding yourself and have someone crank it. If it knocks you on your butt 30 feet from the car, it's good. Ok, maybe not. But if you've ever been bitten by an HEI, you likely won't soon forget it. Ask me how I know. On second thought, don't.

beaker-gets-electrocuted-4rgivh996j5erhu2.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Tore

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2024
Well, that puts that to bed.

The other option is to grab a screwdriver by the shaft and jam it up into the #1 spark plug wire boot while grounding yourself and have someone crank it. If it knocks you on your butt 30 feet from the car, it's good. Ok, maybe not. But if you've ever been bitten by an HEI, you likely won't soon forget it. Ask me how I know. On second thought, don't.

beaker-gets-electrocuted-4rgivh996j5erhu2.gif
Yeah buddy that I was with thought he was funny and when I was taking clip off the ground he turned the key....

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor