Buick 3.8 to Buick 350-1981 Century Wagon Build

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I took a closer look yesterday at the clearance between the cylinder head and the a/c box, and it turns out there is some clearance there after all.
Since I got done with dropping the motor in after dark it didn't look like there was any room.
So with that I think I'm going to see if I can get a later '70s valve cover to work like was mentioned on V8buick before I start cutting anything...
I've been looking for an excuse to head out to Rohner's anyways. :lol:

I also picked up a kickdown cable for $16 and change from rockauto.com.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
If you decide to sell the old ones let me know (as long as they aren't dinged/dented). I wouldn't give an arm & a leg for them, but I'd jump if it's reasonable.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Blake442 said:
I took a closer look yesterday at the clearance between the cylinder head and the a/c box, and it turns out there is some clearance there after all.
Since I got done with dropping the motor in after dark it didn't look like there was any room.
So with that I think I'm going to see if I can get a later '70s valve cover to work like was mentioned on V8buick before I start cutting anything...
I've been looking for an excuse to head out to Rohner's anyways. :lol:

I also picked up a kickdown cable for $16 and change from rockauto.com.

I have a set of 72 if I don't happen to need them this weekend. I installed spectre chrome.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
tobyp said:
I have a set of 72 if I don't happen to need them this weekend. I installed spectre chrome.

If Blake doesn't want them (if you decide to let them go) let me know.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
fwiw when I put the big Cad in the Cutlass the valve cover was snug to the AC hampster wheel box. The valvecover lip was below the box so to take it a off I would need to jack the side of the motor up. Forget that. I bought a cheap fiberglass kit at the local auto part store cut the side of the hampster wheel box off and there was room to move it in about 3/8". It was cheap and easy and was enough that I could take the valve cover on & off. Little spray paint and you it was tough to see anything was done.

Reactions: 1 user

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
G-Body_Vet said:
tobyp said:

If Blake doesn't want them (if you decide to let them go) let me know.

Will do!! I know they are in really good shape too.

I need to get the rest of the items form the old engine in the parts for sale section.

v2vera

G-Body Guru
Sep 13, 2010
in the Desert!
Im loving the thread blake. Hopefully soon I can do a 4.1 v6 swap to a buick 350 soon :) Im locked in to how the a/c thing works out. It will be my first major swap and I NEED ac here in AZ. Im glued to this thread. Awesome write up. Your moving fast I hope I can do the same. I will have lots of ?'s hope you don't mind.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ive gotta run to rohners and get some stuff anyways so let me know if youve got a day set and Ill try to get out there.

Looks pretty good though!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
tobyp said:
I think '70-'72 are the same. I think later ones like '77ish-up are what that other fellow used successfully.
Just do yourself a favor and leave the passenger-side valve cover off when you drop the motor in...

G-Body_Vet said:
If you decide to sell the old ones let me know (as long as they aren't dinged/dented). I wouldn't give an arm & a leg for them, but I'd jump if it's reasonable.
If I don't use 'em, they're yours.

Vern, thanks for the fiberglass suggestion. If I can't find a valve cover that works, I'll have no choice but to modify it. Due to my past experience with several shitbox corvettes, I'm not too ambitious to work with fiberglass if I can avoid it. :lol: When I notched the non a/c box on my 442, I bought a 10"x12" piece of galvanized sheet metal from Home Depot and bent it up after making a template from cardboard. A few pop rivets and some strip-calk did the trick and sealed it up nicely.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
v2vera said:
Im loving the thread blake. Hopefully soon I can do a 4.1 v6 swap to a buick 350 soon :) Im locked in to how the a/c thing works out. It will be my first major swap and I NEED ac here in AZ. Im glued to this thread. Awesome write up. Your moving fast I hope I can do the same. I will have lots of ?'s hope you don't mind.

Thanks man! I wanted to make this thread not only to show the progress to it's anxious new owner, but because I was pretty disappointed at how little GOOD information I was able to find about the swap, even after combing thru thread after thread over on V8buick.com.
Retaining the a/c is a must since it's going to california once I'm done with it.
I'll tackle hooking everything up, but since it'll be off the computer it'll need a little rewiring to function without it... Same with the cruise control. I may or may not have time to take care of it before it gets cold/the car leaves, but at least I'll know if everything fits.

81cutlass said:
Ive gotta run to rohners and get some stuff anyways so let me know if youve got a day set and Ill try to get out there. Looks pretty good though!

Thanks dude! I'm still bummed we weren't able to meet up when you were here for car craft...
If I was smart I'd go tomorrow morning when I get off work... saturday is more likely. Either way I need to do it asap since I'll be in Brainerd next weekend for the muscle car shoot out. This summer went WAY too damn fast and I can't afford the down time on the car. That'd be sweet if you could make it out, but with such short notice, I know how it goes...

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor