Cheap headers for stockish 78' Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I'm just looking for some basic long tube headers for the Malibu. There is no exhaust on it at all right now, so that part doesn't matter. It's also a stock 305, so I don't need anything very big at all.
Any suggestions?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I'm just looking for some basic long tube headers for the Malibu. There is no exhaust on it at all right now, so that part doesn't matter. It's also a stock 305, so I don't need anything very big at all.
Any suggestions?
So... after your other thread about the holley carb/deadhead regulator setup posting...

Well. Don't take this the wrong way. It's meant to help.

How much of this stuff have you bought so far, and, how much money are you budgeting for the swap?

Do you mind sharing what your build plan is, and, what you expect to see come out of it?

The reason is, I'm seeing $$$ for a build that I think you may be disappointed in the performance return aspects on in the hp/$ realm Depending how much you're paying for, how much you own and are trying to cobble together, etc.

We might help you redirect money to other areas depending on what your goals performance and fuel mileage wise are, and of course budgetary considerations as well, to wind up happiest with where you wind up for what you invest - time, money, etc.

We have had member here that were used to working on other types of cars, other engine setups, and they've been.... underwhelmed might be an understatement.... by the end product because things didn't wind up how they expected, and, they werent targeting their funds to areas of greatest impact

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you just need exhaust, why not spend a lot less and get some used stock cast exhaust manifolds? Can probably score some for <100 bucks somewhere I'm sure. Use that money saved to buy a proper regulator for the fuel system. ;) Sounds to me this is a budget build. Which is totally cool, because a 305 is a lot like a 307 as far as power potential. Unless you're just using the 305 as a place-holder for like, a 383 SBC or something. But still likely cheaper to buy parts for than a 307.

Not much out there anymore for new headers unless you're willing to spend a few hundred bucks. Unless you can find a used set someone is getting rid of for cheap.

Reactions: 4 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
So... after your other thread about the holley carb/deadhead regulator setup posting...

Well. Don't take this the wrong way. It's meant to help.

How much of this stuff have you bought so far, and, how much money are you budgeting for the swap?

Do you mind sharing what your build plan is, and, what you expect to see come out of it?

The reason is, I'm seeing $$$ for a build that I think you may be disappointed in the performance return aspects on in the hp/$ realm Depending how much you're paying for, how much you own and are trying to cobble together, etc.

We might help you redirect money to other areas depending on what your goals performance and fuel mileage wise are, and of course budgetary considerations as well, to wind up happiest with where you wind up for what you invest - time, money, etc.

We have had member here that were used to working on other types of cars, other engine setups, and they've been.... underwhelmed might be an understatement.... by the end product because things didn't wind up how they expected, and, they werent targeting their funds to areas of greatest impact

No problem, I'll explain myself a bit.
I'm working on a 78' Malibu for someone else who is not very mechanically inclined. My budget is not super strict, but it's only a street cruiser so I don't want to spend outrageous amounts of money on it.
I have an L03 305 and a 4L60 from a 91' Caprice that I'm sticking in. For simplicities sake, it'll just have a carb and HEI. Because the car was someone else's project, for all intents and purposes it has no exhaust at all.
I do have the factory exhaust manifolds from the caprice, but with having to start an exhaust system from scratch, I though that some longtubes would make it a bit easier. I'm not really concerned to much about power, even with the 305 it'll be peppy enough. If someone has any better suggestions, I'm all ears for sure. Thanks for the help so far though!

Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I scored a set of used long tube headers years ago for like $50. They’re currently on my Malibu with a stock 305 running true duals with an x pipe. I actually get compliments on how the car sounds, and it drives fine. That engine was supposed to come out a long time ago, but things always seem to get in the way.
Keep in mind if your friend wants to run true dual exhaust, he’ll have to get a different transmission crossmember.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

LT1B-Body

Greasemonkey
Feb 25, 2021
Maricopa Arizona
I scored a set of used long tube headers years ago for like $50. They’re currently on my Malibu with a stock 305 running true duals with an x pipe. I actually get compliments on how the car sounds, and it drives fine. That engine was supposed to come out a long time ago, but things always seem to get in the way.
Keep in mind if your friend wants to run true dual exhaust, he’ll have to get a different transmission crossmember.
Noted!

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Check with an exhaust shop and have them quote you a single exhaust with for the factory manifolds and a second quote for dual exhaust with headers.

Reactions: 4 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
No problem, I'll explain myself a bit.
I'm working on a 78' Malibu for someone else who is not very mechanically inclined. My budget is not super strict, but it's only a street cruiser so I don't want to spend outrageous amounts of money on it.
I have an L03 305 and a 4L60 from a 91' Caprice that I'm sticking in. For simplicities sake, it'll just have a carb and HEI. Because the car was someone else's project, for all intents and purposes it has no exhaust at all.
I do have the factory exhaust manifolds from the caprice, but with having to start an exhaust system from scratch, I though that some longtubes would make it a bit easier. I'm not really concerned to much about power, even with the 305 it'll be peppy enough. If someone has any better suggestions, I'm all ears for sure. Thanks for the help so far though!
I think everyone above answered most of what I wouldve above, except to say there was formerly closeout headers that no longer exist on the holley site, and, if you do some reading up on things, mid-length headers from 3rd gen f-bodies used to be a fit on these cars except some budget end ones had A.I.R. tubes off them facing upwards that both need plugs and are unsightly compared to a clean engine bay.

I don't know what I'd suggest you expect power-wise, other than to say it wouldn't be a lot, and, the weak 7.5 ought to hold it without issues unless the driver is doing dumb things with the car.

If it's staying a 305 a 84-88 monte ss 3.73 gear complete rear end swap would be about 2 hours work to just drop in directly/bleed the brakes, and cheaper in cost, time, and labor than buying gears and setting up to eliminate the highway gears it likely has.

Otherwise, if it's running around 2.29s or so, and has a 305 in it... wouldn't surprise me to be a 16 second car, or worse, depending how everything else shook out

305s aren't strong and it's probably mostly maxed out without lots of money going on. Then the 7.5 is a weak spot, then after that the 4l60s isn't that great without upgrades of its own... so it ought to be OK for what it is, as long as someone is going in with the expectation of it is what it is.

Last edited:

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Hedmann hedders. 1-3/4 tube. basic version with the flat black paint. +1 on needing to modify the crossmember. The stocker is sort of shaped like a question mark and flattened out under the drivers side to provide room for the original Cat-converter. cheaper to replace the member as a unit. UMI has them, so do others.

Headers are not a simple plug and play exercise. Apart from having to create the balance of the exhaust system they may require you to tweak various brackets and components to get them to land properly. They also tend to need application specific bolts or capscrews, and should be fitted with a good gasket, copper for choice, as a way to get a strong seal at the head.

Absolute best option is to go stock as described. you have the parts, use them. A good indie shop should be to true dual your stock manifolds.

The deciding factor here is a combination of what you want and expect to get out of the system that you design and how much $$$ you feel comfortable about investing in it.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor