Got a Dash Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Wow those actually do look really nice. Hard to find a mint dash for our cars. Any closer pics and any flaws that you've found (if you are willing to share that is)

Wile E

Greasemonkey
Apr 13, 2010
Central WI
I have the dash installed, I'll take some pics and post some details this weekend. I have a few nice "core's I'll sell, local pick up only, WI. They look nice in the pics, but could really use a cap. Here they are:
Dashes007.jpg

Dashes005.jpg

Dashes003.jpg

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
It does look nice. Good job. What is the feel like, though? The original dashes are somewhat cushy feeling. Does the new one have the same or similar feel or does it feel more rigid and plasticy? What's the texture like? Does it match the original or is it more smooth? These are the things I have been wondering about before I go any buy one for myself. I have a decent dash I can put into my Cutlass but if these dashcaps look and feel good I think it would probably hold up longer than a 35 year old dash that is waiting to crack. Thanks.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO
carmangary said:
It does look nice. Good job. What is the feel like, though? The original dashes are somewhat cushy feeling. Does the new one have the same or similar feel or does it feel more rigid and plasticy? What's the texture like? Does it match the original or is it more smooth? These are the things I have been wondering about before I go any buy one for myself. I have a decent dash I can put into my Cutlass but if these dashcaps look and feel good I think it would probably hold up longer than a 35 year old dash that is waiting to crack. Thanks.

It is a plastic, but the grain/texture looks good. I just got one for my BU from MikesMontes and dropped it off at my buddies to be dyed dark blue. Will do so pics of the install.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Wow - lots of responses on this one. I'll see if I can respond. I think it turned out pretty good, for about $140.00, He painted it brown for the price.

Installation is fairly easy. All you need to install it is sandpaper, a utility knife, some alcohol or similar cleaner, and some silc
oone. It comes with some silicone adhesive, but I needed more. You take off everything removable. They say you can leave the insturment panel on, but I took it off.. Then, cut away the raised parts around the cracks on your old dash (mine was so brittle it just kind of shattered), sand around the edges to help the adhesive hold better, and clean it.

Then you put adhesive all the way around the edges and openings on the new one, put it in place and hold it down with
lots of cardboard wedges, bungee ties, or whatever. Wait 4 hours and you're done! Instructions say you can use Duct tape, but I wouldn't do that, too much sticky.

It's not soft, it hard but flexible plastic. You can tell it's a cap if you look down in the vents, around the brake release, and one lilttle spot on the bottom back near the glove box. It's doubtful anyone else will notice it, though. The glove box is a little tight, needs sanding around the edges. Also had to take about a1/16" off around the radio bezel to get it back in.

I chose this one from AZBOB after looking at a lot of different ones. Didn't want the half cap, and some of the others completely covered the speaker holes. Bob's audio on ebay helped sell me, too, seemed to know what he's doing. So I rolledthe dice and bought it. Picking it up saved freight and helped offset the sales tax I had to pay because we're both in AZ.

Turned out to be a fun project. Bob is a grizzled old guy working with a lady, probably his wife, in a 1500 ft room that was jam packed with dash covers, door panels, etc., and paint cans. Paint all over everything, including Bob. A good guy, gave me tips, and even offered to paint my speaker covers for free if I'll bring em in.

exnyman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2010
Thanks for the info. I was pretty sure the instrument bin needed to come off to install the cap. The instructions on mine also mention the car shouldn't be left out in hot direct sunlight too often as warpage could result. I had a half cap on my Monte Carlo before this and never had taht happen but.....the car has always been in Ohio, where the sun rarely shines, so, it has spent the majority of the time sitting in the garage. Since I will be moving premanently to my home in Tucson this summer, the Monte will be going there. Just wonder how the cap will hold up in the heat/sun.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would recommend using a sun shade across your windshield. That would certainly help keep the direct sun rays off of your dashtop. I've used a sunshade for many years. Although my dash isn't in great shape, the shade has kept it from getting any worse over the years. Also, tinting your glass would also help keep the interior temps down.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
Longroof is right. The manufacturer recommends a shade, and the guy who sold mine says he has never had a problem with warping here in Phoenix, as long as the owner used a shade.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
I Ordered mine from AZBOB as well on Dec.24 ....a Christmas gift from my Bride, Shannon....I can't wait until it gets here... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor