Hot Air Tube?? What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
the tube that runs from the intake crossover to the choke on the carb. I am switching to an OL4B edelbrock intake with no provision for this tube to use not I am wondering what to do. Do i block it off on the carb?? My carb has a bracket in which the coolant line off the water pump is held against the choke on the carb, is that all it needs? I am searching for a solution...

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Re: Heat Riser Tube?? What to do?

i keep reading about hot air to electric choke conversion. im pretty sure i have hot air now as i have one tube running from the intake to the choke. (im not exactly a carb expert) and i have two other quadrajets sitting around that i have yet to check out whether they have an electric choke

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Yes, you're going to need an electric choke and then wire it up correctly too ( see electrical section here for details ). You can still retain your hot air choke housing you just need to plug up the port that went to the small hook shaped hot air tube and make sure you don't use a gasket between the choke housing and your new electric choke.

You won't be using either of your hot air choke tubes but are not required to plug the port at the top rear of the carb where the larger tube went because it's not a vacuum port.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
nice i had a random carb sitting around that had electric choke. i blocked off the vacuum port in the choke bowl with some jb weld and installed the electric choke. very nice

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I'd keep some way of allowing hot air to the carb for these reasons;
Hot air aids driveability when cruising or in traffic,
The choke will to be used for a shorter time.
Both these effects will help fuel economy too. For wot use the carb will draw mainly ambient air anyway and you would need to be on a dragstrip to notice any difference in performance.

Roger.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
rustyroger said:
Both these effects will help fuel economy too. For wot use the carb will draw mainly ambient air anyway and you would need to be on a dragstrip to notice any difference in performance.

Roger.

I certainly would have made that choice if my intake had allowed for it. From what I have learned i like the hot air system but i needed to improvise to make my setup work

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
rustyroger said:

Roger.

He's not talking about the heat crossover, he's just talking about the 2 little 'hot air' tubes for the Olds style choke.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
all you would have to do to use that carb would be to extend your heater hose and loop it onto the bracket on the carb.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
rustyroger said:
DoubleV said:
He's not talking about the heat crossover, he's just talking about the 2 little 'hot air' tubes for the Olds style choke.

So was I.

Roger.

OK then my mistake, but then I guess I'm confused as to what you're talking about then, since everything you mentioned seems to be refering to the heat crossover and not to hot air chokes.

I agree that getting some heat to the carb will aid in drivability and milage, but I don't understand how a hot air choke accomplishes this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor