Hot Air Tube?? What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
DoubleV said:
I agree that getting some heat to the carb will aid in drivability and milage, but I don't understand how a hot air choke accomplishes this.

The hot air inlet allows air to be drawn in to the air filter normally from the exhaust manifold, warm air will aid fuel vaporisation which is why it is good for part throttle economy and smooth running in traffic.

They work with a thermostatically controlled flap valve to keep the air at a given temperature in the air filter box, allowing cold air to mix with the hot.

The hot air tubes are not very large and wot will draw in cold air almost exclusively but then fuel economy is not an issue when you plant the gas pedal on the floor!.

Roger.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Ahh, there's the confusion.

Rustyroger is talking about the aluminum tubing that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner housing inlet.

The OP is talking about the hot air choke tubes that run into the intake manifold's crossover and connect to the choke on the side of the carb.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Mystery solved!

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Peter said:
nice i had a random carb sitting around that had electric choke. i blocked off the vacuum port in the choke bowl with some jb weld and installed the electric choke. very nice

I just capped mine off with a rubber bypass cap. Just in case I wanted to use the carb on a hot air choke set up later in life.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
FE3X CLONE said:
Ahh, there's the confusion.

Rustyroger is talking about the aluminum tubing that runs from the exhaust manifold to the air cleaner housing inlet.

The OP is talking about the hot air choke tubes that run into the intake manifold's crossover and connect to the choke on the side of the carb.

"Two nations divided by a common language" (Winston Churchill) :oops: Sorry about the confusion.

Roger.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
rustyroger said:
"Two nations divided by a common language" (Winston Churchill) :oops: Sorry about the confusion.

Roger.

No problem man, it's all good.

What's it like driving an 87 Delta 88 around in England? Do you get alot of strange looks from people wondering what the heck you've got? Were all American cars of this era over there right hand drive or were they the 'correct way' ( :p ) with left hand drive like all of our cars here in the states?

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
I don't get too many looks in my 88, the Gbodys, B bodies, mk6 Lincoln and Dodge crewcab got lots more.
One time a friend let me use his '59 Cadillac, that was a different story. It got quite scary when cars passed me then slowed down to take pictures.

There are plenty of American cars over here, mostly left hand drive, a lot were sourced from US forces bases when the owners were posted back home. LHD isn't an issue, you quickly get used to it, there are thousands of lhd trucks on our roads from Europe that manage just fine as well.

Roger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor