My 86 442: update 11/11/14 Auto Gear M22Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
I did find this car on craigslist, i bought it from a guy in Amherst, NY who bought it to complete the restoration but just didnt have the time, so I picked it up from him. So yes this probably is the same car that you saw haha, but slighty different now with the new not smashed door on it and new trunk lid, and the front end from my 86 Salon on it.

As for the 87 front end, make me an offer I'll be honest i have no idea what it is worth, it is totally complete with lights, grilles, wiring, and i have the lower part of the cover to go with it.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
And yes 86CutlassUCF i did say my donor car is a 1986 Salon. I was originally going to restore her (thats why i have all the floor pans and doors, quarters, and rockers) but shes way too far rotted to fix. The roof is gone, along with the trunk floor and rear parts of the frame rails. Sad part is, just a few years ago she was a clean as yours is until it sat and saw salt. :cry: It used to be ideltical to yours minus the vinyl top. has pretty much every option except t-tops and the W42 option

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get a set of Sanderson shorty headers and 2 1/4" dual exhaust with a X pipe. I would mill the 5A heads .010-.020 and at least a 3 angle valve job. Your engine uses shorter pushrods then the flat tappet 5A 307, keep them.

Brick442

Master Mechanic
Apr 16, 2009
Jersey Shore
86-blk442 said:
so if i were to have the 5A heads rebuilt to stock specs, i could just bolt them onto my current 307 without having to change to different lifters or pushrods?

You may need to check the length on the 7A pushrods, I'm not sure that the ones you have will be the correct length, maybe someone else can verify.

Also, I believe the roller lifters on the 7A had a different bore than the regular lifters on the 5A 307s--or at least some had a larger bore--so changing to the 5A hydraulic lifters may not work in your block. Again, someone may want to verify--its been 10 years since I touched a 307.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I believe all 307's used the same rockers, different pushrods than the earlier v8's, they should work. Get a good valve job at least, these can be made to flow, even with small ports.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
are the ports on the 5A heads still smaller than what was used on the earlier V8's? And from what I read on the olds FAQ swapping to these heads will actually lower my compression, so wont i be losing horsepower?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
If you are going as far as to swap the 7A's for 5A's you might as well find a running 350 or 403. Them 5A's aren't going to give but an increase of 15hp if that. Also, you need to change the cam/lifters/pushrods/intake/exhaust manifolds, none of that stuff will work with the 5A heads on a 307. Big waste of money and time for little increase in HP...
My suggestion is find a 455... it drops right in, you just have to use stock manifolds if you don't want to drop $500+ for headers that work. Not a big deal really, and you will be light years ahead of them small blocks and spend the same amount of cash doing it.
Here's a picture of the 455 I just dropped in:

http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... C06027.jpg

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
Agreed, i wouldnt bother with the 307, esp since its no longer computer
controlled, just drop in a 350,403,455 whatever u can get ur hands on.
much easier to make power,, plus already ahve a good 8.5 rear with 3.73s
and 2004r with a shift kit,,nice street car

As for paint, stock is the way to go. the 2 tone is really nice on the 442s

Nice project tho, goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor