My 86 442: update 11/11/14 Auto Gear M22Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
well im going to look at an engine this tuesday that my fathers buddy has sitting around, he builds race cars and such so i trust him that he wouldn sell me crap. Heres the specs on the motor, let me know what you guys think. Oh and yeah im not overly thrilled that its a chevy motor but im only 18 and I have the opportunity to get this thing at what i think is a decent price.

Short Block: 357 cubic inch (.040 over) 350 Chevy “010” block, all machine work done by Jan-Cen; Keith Black Hypereutectic flat top pistons with Plasma rings; Cast crank with std main and rod bearings; Truck rods; Comp XE 262 Cam, double roller timing chain. $1500.00

Heads: Small Block Chevy “smog” heads (off L-82 motor), 1.94/1.50 valves, Edelbrock performer RPM springs, freshly rebuilt, $200.00.

With the short block and heads, you should have 9-9.25-1 compression (run 93 Octane), and 300-325 horsepower.

Those are the specs, what do you guys think?

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I see a big problem....

It's a chevy motor! :lol:

j/k, I'm an Olds guy, but I'll admit my 442 had a chevy 350 in it for a few years in between the 307 and the 455...

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
thats my biggest beef too haha, but I dont plan on keeping the chevy motor for good. I figure ill use it for now and over the winter or the next year or so after the car is complete and running I'll get myself an Olds motor and build that to replace the chevy. I'm only 18 so money is kinda tight and it sounds like a decent deal.

I have a couple questions about this:

First, I plan on using the stock dual exhaust set up for now, so would my olds syatem work, or would i have to swap to a Monte exhaust?

Second, I would have to get all of the accesories like power steering pump, alternator, etc. from a 305 monte carlo, correct?

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
86-blk442 said:
thats my biggest beef too haha, but I dont plan on keeping the chevy motor for good. I figure ill use it for now and over the winter or the next year or so after the car is complete and running I'll get myself an Olds motor and build that to replace the chevy. I'm only 18 so money is kinda tight and it sounds like a decent deal.

I have a couple questions about this:

First, I plan on using the stock dual exhaust set up for now, so would my olds syatem work, or would i have to swap to a Monte exhaust?

Second, I would have to get all of the accesories like power steering pump, alternator, etc. from a 305 monte carlo, correct?

You would need to use the Monte exhaust. You may be able to use the 442 tail pipes.

Yes you would need to get all accessories from any Chevy powered G-body, it does not have to be a Monte.

Don't forget about the battery, starter, fuel lines, alternator being on the opposite side from the Olds engine, so you will need to fix those issues also.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
was it burgundy too?I have an 86 salon,i was just as surprised :(
86-blk442 said:
And yes 86CutlassUCF i did say my donor car is a 1986 Salon. I was originally going to restore her (thats why i have all the floor pans and doors, quarters, and rockers) but shes way too far rotted to fix. The roof is gone, along with the trunk floor and rear parts of the frame rails. Sad part is, just a few years ago she was a clean as yours is until it sat and saw salt. :cry: It used to be ideltical to yours minus the vinyl top. has pretty much every option except t-tops and the W42 option

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
No minion the Salon is black with a burgundy interior, I was reading the post about rare options, and I guess the passenger side remote mirror was rare? well the salon does have that, along with, remote trunk release, power everything, posi rearend (7.5 inch of course), and the F-41 . I dont know a whole lot about the salons does this sound like a rare one?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
mine has power everything which seemed to be a popular option,but i never saw a remote trunk ever but i have heard of the passenger remote mirror i think,so it may just be one of those rare options
86-blk442 said:
No minion the Salon is black with a burgundy interior, I was reading the post about rare options, and I guess the passenger side remote mirror was rare? well the salon does have that, along with, remote trunk release, power everything, posi rearend (7.5 inch of course), and the F-41 . I dont know a whole lot about the salons does this sound like a rare one?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
I have the sticker listing all the options that my salon had in it and, I wish i could see what my 442 originally had in it, someone painted the inside of the trunk and the sticker with all the options is toast. Would that GM restoration packet tell me all of those codes and everything about the car? What else would the restoration packet tell me?

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
well i've read in a magazine that if you call GM and tell them your cars VIN then they'll send you tons of information about your car and the cars specs,i've also heard that it may be free of cost!but i dont know if that will help you or if its what your looking for,I also have all the options from my RPO sticker in the trunk of my salon,i've decoded it also.
86-blk442 said:
I have the sticker listing all the options that my salon had in it and, I wish i could see what my 442 originally had in it, someone painted the inside of the trunk and the sticker with all the options is toast. Would that GM restoration packet tell me all of those codes and everything about the car? What else would the restoration packet tell me?

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
yeah thats definately what im looking for, whoever owned my 442 before me definately molested it a bit and i would like to see what was in it so i can try to put it back to as close to stock as possible, with the exception of the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor