Quadrajet or Aftermarket?

TheSaint

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2021
Using that number, that carb is off of a 1985 Chevy motor with an automatic transmission. I prefer Q-Jets over anything aftermarket, but I can see from your photos, your fuel line is an issue, your choke is not hooked up, and you are completely missing the primary choke pull off.

If it has been sitting a while, I'd pull it and put a rebuild kit in it. There are dozens of videos on how to do it.
Could I hook the choke up to a key on 12v? In all honesty I haven’t looked for a missing/unhooked connection.

Nov 4, 2012
Could I hook the choke up to a key on 12v? In all honesty I haven’t looked for a missing/unhooked connection.

You could do that, but you really want the choke to be powered only when the engine is running. A relay tied into the oil pressure switch is the ideal way to do it, but key on power technically will work.

Reactions: 4 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Oil pressure switch as stated is best way.

First fix your fuel line. It is kinked and won't flow as is.

Second it is the wrong carb. You need a non C3 ECM carb which is pre 1981.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The Qjet in the picture is a truck Qjet with the a grey connector for a 2 stage accel pump. Its not a true CCC Qjet. A real CCC Qjet that would come in a G body would have a blue connector for the air fuel mixture control solenoid and a white plug the the throttle position sensor and a normal accel pump.

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
How do you plan to drive it?

You have 350 TBI heads looks to be 193 Swirl port. Not known as real HP head but they are known very good low-end torque.

If running current Spread Bore intake you can go Edelbrock 650. You will need a spacer/adapter Spread Bore to Square Bore. Out off the box are fairly trouble free, most come with electric choke. They have their quirks but are tunable and fairly easy to work on. Out of the box check float setting first, that seems to be common OEM issue.

If you are running current Square Bore intake, then I would go with Holley 650 Vacuum Secondary, most come electric choke.

Now if you want to do some stop light to stop light fun or want some thing with a little more spunk, Spread Bore intake and Holley Spread Bore 650 Quadrajet Replacement carb. Most times will have to specify electric choke. This carb is mechanical secondary double pumper and you can go as much as 50cc on each end. Linkage is some what progressive but as you get the primary near 3/4, secondaries start coming in very fast and very quickly full open.

Looks like good clean install

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
, that carb is off of a 1985 Chevy motor
Agreed- that one is just a regular Q-jet with the pump solenoid. I've seen it on Chevy pickups and Suburbans. Unhooked is fine. I feel the electric choke is the easiest to work with. As stated, get a good ignition switched 12 volt source and adjust it properly. If your vehicle is 1980 or newer the choke wire is buried in there somewhere. Just know that no matter what has been done to the engine, a Q-jet can be modified to work great with it. Get Doug Roe's Rochester book and learn all about these incredible carbs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Qjet in the picture is a truck Qjet with the a grey connector for a 2 stage accel pump. Its not a true CCC Qjet. A real CCC Qjet that would come in a G body would have a blue connector for the air fuel mixture control solenoid and a white plug the the throttle position sensor and a normal accel pump.
I was thinking that it may be one of those. Go aftermarket, that carb may be a nightmare to tune with the solenoid and extra jet.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No, it is fine. The solenoid only activates under unusually hot conditions. Think of it as two accelerator pump settings, regular, and over heated. It was a carburetor emissions idea for vehicles that did not come with OBD1, like pickups. I have modified a couple to work on older engines just because that model Chevy carb was all we had available.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
No, it is fine. The solenoid only activates under unusually hot conditions. Think of it as two accelerator pump settings, regular, and over heated. It was a carburetor emissions idea for vehicles that did not come with OBD1, like pickups. I have modified a couple to work on older engines just because that model Chevy carb was all we had available.
I think I have one of those Chevy truck Q-jets, They also had the capped off mixture adjustment screws.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor