taking off heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
hey im seeing white smoke and my coolant is dropping so im gonna fix gaskets and take heads to the shop.
i need help tho this is how far i got

112501_200600.jpg

this is how it was

112001_183300.jpg

more of where its at

112501_200601.jpg

my questions are what do i do next in order to take the heads off. i wanna do one side, the easier side first to see if i can do it and so far doesnt seem to hard. do i have to take the intake off? does anyone kno the order to take off and put on? i wanna do as much as i can tonight in the garage cause its not cold today

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
do i need to take off the manifolds? what order do i take the head bolts off? do i need a torque wrench to take them off? i know i need it to put them on. help!

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Intake manifold/ turbo alt Turbo exhaust pipes etc needs to come off first. The turbo you should be able to leave connected to intake as long as you can get to the back bolts. Then exhaust manifolds make sure you keep the pushrods in the order they come out along with the rocker shafts on the side they came off of. You do not need a torque wrench to remove any bolts. As far as the head bolts they are junk never reuse them buy yourself a set of good arp bolts.

On another note once you get car back together buy yourself a scanmaster from full throttle or even turbo tweak because before you do anything on these cars tgey are a must for tuning.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
Might want to get yourself a repair manual.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
how do i take the throttle cables off of the steel bracket they are on? i took the steel braket off but the throttle cables are stiff and i dont want to break them but i need to at least move that clunky steel braket out of the way... i can tell u can remove them but i cant figure out how also more pics of where im at in a second thanks for the help chevy2480

:notworthy:

im scarred but at the same time excited this is a learning experiance for sure

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
heres where im at now,,, i took the a/c thing off, alternator and the bracket that holds them.
behind the accessory bracket was like a freikin birds nest lol

112501_223100.jpg

also here is the steel bracket i was talking about

112501_223200.jpg

and heres the clips to take them off that i am not understanding

112501_223201.jpg

now for a quick smoke break thanks for the advice guys keep it comming!
where can i get a manual for the car if you werent being sarcastic and it really helps
id rather here it from you guys tho, those manuals confuse me alot of times and you cant ask it questions like you can a human

also if i drain the coolant would that be ok even if the temp drops below 32*

another thing, i noticed like water on top of the head maybe was oil but seemed to watery is that normal? as normal as a bad head gets anyways?

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
also i wanna know when i take them to the shop what should i do to them/ have them do to them and what should it cost.
will i get a noticable performance increase and someone said i will be saving alot of gas

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
No I am not being sarcastic. Get a manual, they will show pictures and procedures for assembly and dis assembly. For what your doing there a basic haynes or chiltons that you can get from autozone would probably be good enough. You may be able to download a PDF online for free. It is always nice to have a reference.

bigdawg

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2011
whats a pdf and everything on the car seems simple enough to dis assemble but ur right it would be good for reference

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
If you have a blown head gasket, I am assuming thats why your tearing it down then fixing the problem will yield a performance gain. You need to have the heads pressure tested/magnafluxed and surfaced if needed. When you get the heads off look at the head gaskets carefully and try to find where the head gasket let loose. Check the deck surface of the block and ensure there is no pitting anywhere but especially where the gasket blew. It would be a good idea to install new valve seals while the heads are off as well. Maybe have the machine shop do a general check up on the heads to see if anything needs replaced or a valve grinded on. A pdf is a text file. It would be scanned pictures of the pages of a the book. Might be able to find one for free if you look around online. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor