1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
man, you're going about this in a very smart way!
it might seem like a pain to organize all that stuff, but you're gonna love yourself later when you go to put it together!

great work!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
it is good to keep it organised....it's hard to see the horns, the bumper shocks are bent but what do the frame horns look like.

mrdon50

n00b
Nov 12, 2011
Ouch! Sorry about your car and glad your ok and decided to keep and fix it. Found your thread and was catching up on all you had done. you did a lot of good work and learned a few things and should give yourself a big "attaboy". Things were looking up til that nasty ol tree jumped out there but all is not lost. Looked liked you took a pretty good hit and judging from your pics the frame is probably bent. There just not much strength in the rails but frames are easy to find and the sheetmetal stuff is all the same and easy to find. You can probably save a lot of the 2+2 specific parts like the headlight mounts and small parts. The fibreglass noses from Lauren Eng. fit fairly well with only slight mods to get all the body lines matched up. I put one on the 22 I'm redoing. with a little coaxing you can get them to ship it UPS instead of freight and save a few bucks. I'm located agood distance from you but have several Gbody parts cars if I can be of service if you need anything. I'm not the brightest crayon in box but I have done a lot of work on gbody cars over the years and if you need info or parts that I have access to. be glad to help if I can. Also, if anyone looking at this thread knows of a 2+2 for sale within 250 miles of me let me know. Mostly looking for body only. Drive train and rust isses not inportant. Looking for a 22 to backhalf. Good luck with your project.

Bob L

n00b
Nov 13, 2011
Hi, new to the forum simply because of this car! I have been an auto body guy for 20 plus years and now I teach auto body at Lincoln Tech in Melrose park Il. Enough about me. Doing this car again will be hard,expensive and tough BUT if you don't do it you will regret it. In my opinion, I would buy a diferent frame not because yours is too bad to repair [Which it isn't] but think about a little differently,if you have the frame seperate from the car your parts storage problem pretty much goes away as the car is intact. You get to do the frame complete before you have the mess of a torn apart car all over the garage, when it is done start swapping assemblies such as the motor/trans etc. and anything that you did not go thru the first time you did the car such as the rear differential etc. becomes a little less daunting to accomplish as you have only the parts and hardware from one assembly to keep track of instead of everything on the car. I have done several cars this way over the years and it works out quite well and I think that I have offset the cost of the replacement frame by not buying parts that were misplaced or damaged by being in the attic..or basement or garage or shed. You get the idea. Dont give up even though it sucks right now it will be an extremly cool car done just the way you want it when done! Good luck!

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
I'm up to 30 some bags now, only worked about 4 hours and got a lot done! The horns on the frame are definitely bent but I was planning on getting a new frame. Thanks mrdon50 and Bob L for the advice! mrdon50 if you have a whole complete clip for a regular grand prix and a gbody frame doesn't matter what car, I might be willing to drive down and get it, Bob L I'm glad you joined not only because of me but this site is a great site for input to help others :D

Attachments

• Grand Prix 134.JPG
    Grand Prix 134.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,237
  • Grand Prix 133.JPG
    Grand Prix 133.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,272
  • Grand Prix 132.JPG
    Grand Prix 132.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,232

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
last 2, I'm in a hurry so I couldn't do a long explanation to you guys :eek:

Attachments

• Grand Prix 136.JPG
    Grand Prix 136.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,201
  • Grand Prix 135.JPG
    Grand Prix 135.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,219

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
:shock: That frame is f%@ked! I agree with starting over on another frame not solely because yours looks bad but because you can do all of your fuel and brake lines to ensure they get done right and its much easier without the body on obviously. Maybe even box sections of it and get new body mounts. You could literally build it from the ground up :mrgreen: Goodluck.

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Whoa! Those front frame horns are twisted up pretty good. I don't know what it would take to straighten those out, but as others have mentioned you may be further ahead sourcing another frame. I wouldn't give up on the car though. There's only so many 2+2's still floating around

crazyliver

Apprentice
Aug 15, 2011
Ontario Canada
Yeah that frame is bad, but we have straightened worse. I would make calls to see if you can find an old guy that still has the equipment to straighten it. It might not be cheaper than a new frame, but a lot less work.

Keep those grill parts that I see on the ground. There is one largely intact, and if you don't want it then I will buy it. If you are unsure, just keep them (even the broken pieces) until you know what you are going to do with them.

Why did you drill off the inner metal fenders at the top and bottom of the doors? They unbolt fairly easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor