1986 Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 Resurrection

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
clean8485 said:
I have a friend who has a couple of these cars, including one with a V8 in it. There is alot you can do with them. Good luck with the Fiero, I hope you have fun with it. When you get back into the G bodies, let us know what you've got.

nice and oh I know! thanks and I'll be sure to let you guys know, I'm already starting to fab up the perfect design for my next gbody!

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
Phoenyx said:
Put a GN V6 in there. 8)

Thats actually a pretty good idea besides the fact of having to pull all the wiring from a dash of a gn and transfering all of it into the fiero. I'll let you know if I do that though because if I find one for cheap in my area the swap will begin :twisted:

beenen

Greasemonkey
Jan 9, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
watch out for that fiero engine..I think they are recalled on reasons of the engine starting a fire..something along those lines..the fiero is really cool I wouldn't mind messin with one

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I've also seen a Feiro with an Olds Tornado trans axle in the rear and a blown SBC. Just throwing that out there lol.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I think Fieros are pretty cool cars..especially the GT model. At least you don't have an Iron duke boat anchor powering it.
My neighbor has one that he installed an Ecotech 4 banger in it with a 5-spd. Nice little car with adequate performance.
I have seen a SBC powered Fiero. I think it's too over the top. It can't have a good power to weight ratio.
Something like a Cadillac Northstar, Oldsmobile Aurora aluminum engine...or a intercooled turbo 6 as mentioned.
Actually, I think the Ecotech, or Quad 4 is a great powerplant for that car. GM has go-fast goodies available for it.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I have seen a Quad 4 in a Fiero very clean modern looking setup. Bad arse actually. They somewhat deservedly get a bad rap because they go through a water pump every 50,000 miles or so. Bad design. Worse when they overheat if you are not careful and try to drive it to far hot they will quickly warp the head. When they do its often not cost effective to fix. And in many of the cars they were put in the motor had to come out through the bottom so the back yard mechanic with a engine hoist was still generally sh*t out of luck.

That said I believe the HO w-41 at 190HP & something like 165TQ is still the strongest naturally aspirated 4 cylinder GM has made. Their is a forum dedicated to that engine and until recently they had a great vendor to support them. I read that with mix & matching the right parts you could get depending on tune between 220 & 230 HP out of one on 93. Mine has 212,000 and I have run the crap out of it. But I have also put three water pumps in it. Zippy responsive little bugger that still gets me 28 mpg. I have no idea what it would take to put one in it though. You can also get factory superchargers for them.

Another great swap would be the supercharged or naturally aspirated 3800 series buick V6 that replaced the Grand National motor and the regular 3.8s. It was put in a front wheel drive so it may be a much easier install that would include a transmission strong enough to handle it etc. People have figured out to make stupid power with those as well. Maybe not the power that can be made with the turbo but still crazy in a light weight Fiero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor