'83 Regal LTD build *9/17 update*

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: Starting my signature build

Well I finally bolted the timing cover in place (with the "Right Stuff") 8) Installed my new Professional Products 6 3/4" balancer and bolted the water pump up. Also bolted the fuel pump block off plate in place :mrgreen:

no29.jpg

plate.jpg

no30.jpg

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA

good really good i always like the simple paint schemes on engines as well can't wait to see it in between your frame rails (or mine 8) )

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

Peter said:
good really good i always like the simple paint schemes on engines as well can't wait to see it in between your frame rails (or mine 8) )
That just sounds dirty :rofl:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

Well, progress has slowed up a bit. I am pretty much ready to drop this engine in my Regal but I need to sell the engine that is in the Regal before I remove it (so a buyer can hear it run)

I got my fuel line stuff the other day. A canister style fuel filter, that will mount on the AC/heat delete plate. Stainless steel braided fuel line with black/red -6 AN fittings will attach to my polished QFT fuel log.
My oil pump and pan are now installed. :mrgreen:

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Re: Starting my signature build *UPDATE Mar 5th*

Well, I got my old engine sold today and got it removed. I started removing unwanted items from the engine bay after the engine was out, but the weather put my progress on hold. I am going to paint the engine bay black (haven't decided if I am going to rattle can it or use POR15)
Also, I was wondering if there is any type of alternative to the ginormous wiper motor :?: There are vacuum ports on the housing of the wiper motor that were not connected to anything, any idea what these control :?: (my wipers worked just fine)
Another decision I am not completely sure about is whether to keep the wheel wells or remove them :?:

I also placed an order with SummitRacing today, part numbers SUM-G2702-1 and SPE-771

empty.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

The vacuum lines on the wiper motor were prolly for the washer fliud. I wouldn't remove the inner fenders if you ever plan on driving on the street. It seems as if I have seen a cover for the wiper motor somewhere, but am drawing a blank at the moment.

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094

Motor Looks great. I am not a fan of the Harmonic Balancer you chose. I have had that balancer on two motors and both times after about 2K miles the balancer started to wooble and chewed up the crank snout. And yes the bolt was tight not sure if it was the balancer machine work or not but a friend of mine just had the same thing happen to him with that balancer.. Hope you have better luck.

maddog20_20

Master Mechanic
Nov 20, 2010
St. Louis MO

If you can cancel the order on the torque converter here is a link and these work awesome for mild builds and they have them marked down to $95 (OBO). I have one in the 6cyl malibu -- had to replace the front seal on the transmission so figured I would give it a try. It stalls with the 6 at about 1800 on the brake. I ordered 2 more and just put one in my buddies 72 camaro with a 268H cam and it really changed the way it launched (about 22-2300) -- and for less than a hundred bucks I don't think you can go wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-T...965QQitemZ350444063077QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI

I am hooked on the 10" diameter of the one I oredered. It is 20lbs of less engine rotating weight.

I sure hope I have better luck with my balancer. I have a buddy that runs the same one on 406ci roller motor and he's has had it on there for about 5 years. I guess we'll pray that it performs well :mrgreen:

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094

RITTER said:
I am hooked on the 10" diameter of the one I oredered. It is 20lbs of less engine rotating weight.

I sure hope I have better luck with my balancer. I have a buddy that runs the same one on 406ci roller motor and he's has had it on there for about 5 years. I guess we'll pray that it performs well :mrgreen:

I hear that you win some and you lose some.. Oh and By the way Just to clearify I had one on a 406sbc that did last about 5 1/2 yrs and about 300 passes down the track and 20k give or take street miles before it started to wooble but by then it was time for a rebuild anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor