Broken Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
85GPLef41 said:
I think Speedway would have a lawsuit on their hands if it killed somebody... :shock: what are they going to do to rectify the problem?
I would think they would put a recall out on the lot of calipers that your caliper came from :idea: As long as nobody has been injured as a result of one of their calipers, there really is no ground to a law suit.

But I am sure, as crooked as the "justice" system is at times, with a high dollar laywer, you could probably get money out of them :roll:

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
I am talking to the guys at speedway. I will be sending them back both my calipers tomorrow for them to take a look at. As far as lawsuits, not for me. I just want something that will help the car stop :mrgreen:

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
Peter said:
wow i have never seen that. I have never seen issues with regular napa replacements. My suggestion is if you want the upgrades calipers go with the blazer dual piston calipers and spindles
I agree and I happen to have a set or two :D

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
87canadiancutlass said:
If the master piston is larger than original it would produce more pressure.
Actually it would be the opposite. Larger piston=more volume, less pressure... smaller piston=less volume, more pressure. Think of how many times you pump the handle on a floor jack. It moves slow but can lift a whole lot of weight.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Blue86Monte said:
I am talking to the guys at speedway. I will be sending them back both my calipers tomorrow for them to take a look at. As far as lawsuits, not for me. I just want something that will help the car stop :mrgreen:

I didn't mean for you file a lawsuit BUT if you would have crashed on the streets cuz of the broken caliper and killed yourself or somebody else that's asking for trouble for speedway selling a defective caliper. I as a mechanic take brake jobs very serious. I do DOT inspections at work and if i just sign the paper and not inspect/repair the brakes right and a accident happens its my job... Not saying it's speedways fault, could have been a bad casting but i won't be buying those calipers anytime soon..

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
87canadiancutlass said:
Stupid question. What do you mean about manual brake swap? Does that mean that you changed the master cylinder? Maybe it would produce more pressure. If the master piston is larger than original it would produce more pressure.
FINALLY a smart idea. Not to knock Manual Brake swaps, but I bet it had alot to do with it. I sure wouldn't tell Speedway About that part when Asking for a refund.good luck though

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
nawlins-tim said:
87canadiancutlass said:
Stupid question. What do you mean about manual brake swap? Does that mean that you changed the master cylinder? Maybe it would produce more pressure. If the master piston is larger than original it would produce more pressure.
FINALLY a smart idea. Not to knock Manual Brake swaps, but I bet it had alot to do with it. I sure wouldn't tell Speedway About that part when Asking for a refund.good luck though

They still shouldn't have broke, even with the manual brake master. I have a hydroboost system on my '87 that produces in excess of 2000psi of pressure and I haven't snapped my Corvette or LS1 calipers and neither of them came with a hydroboost setup.
A manual brake setup isn't going to be capable of a lot of pressure unless you have a really strong leg.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
we run manual brakes on our SS race car and we have to run stock callipers. We use a chryco master and the only problem we have with the callipers is the inner pad get bent by the piston. We don't use cheap pads. There is no reason for that calliper to brake other then it's cheap material that used in it's production. I wouldn't trust a retailer to recall the callipers since they'd loose money and that's why I suggest the DOT be notified so appropriate action can be taken. You wouldn't want the guy coming up to a red light while your crossing the intersection to be using those callipers and I don't think he would want to be using them if he know what happened to your calliper

87canadiancutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Alberta Canada
Couple of things. I'm a HD mechanic so hydraulics are what I do. That caliper have increased area meaning more force with original pressure. Changing the master cylinder (which is a simple pump) to one that can produce more pressure will cause more force on a stock system. So if you add the two together piston size and pressure produced equals a lot more force. So much force that those calipers were not designed to handle. The web site says that they removed material for weight and increased webbing for support. Less material = weaker No mater how much webbing they put in it will never equal the material removed. In a stock application no problem. So I'm saying a combo of weaker calipers and to much pressure.

Not to bust your balls Pontiacgp, as for the 2000psi brakes, no way. Banjo fitting won't handle that. That build safety factors into brake lines and tubes but not that big of one. Most excavators, dozers etc only run pressures of 2500psi. And the hoses used are as thick walled as car brake hoses are wide in diameter. So yes you have more pressure but not 2000psi

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor