Broken Caliper

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
bust my balls?...I never made reference to any specific pressure. If you think that calliper is limited to a force less than can be exerted by a brake system then they need to a have a warning on that calliper. Howe has been modifying callipers for metrics for years and they cut a pound out of them to save weight and none have failed.

3368.png

87canadiancutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2011
Alberta Canada
Sorry poniacgp, I ment fe3x. (stupid brain farts)

The key is that that caliper that broke is intended for a stock up grade. Not a complete system change.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
not made for a complete system change?...then that calliper should not be sold. There is no brake set up that is made for a car that would have the power to snap a calliper in 2.

crazydavez28

Apprentice
Jun 26, 2011
KS
I would like to see a close up of the material at the break. That thing had to have had a pretty decent sized crack to break like that... or be made of zinc.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
The fact that the brakes were not even used on the street, and not even tested to their fullest potential proves a bad part. You can say all you want about the manual brake swap, but for no reason should the caliper fail under that little of increased pressure. I know these were not very expensive aftermarket calipers, but if they will fail with a brake upgrade then they are not safe on any car IMO. On another note, problem resolved with Speedway.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
What did they say? I would think that any caliper would have a large margin of safety built in. So being rated for 2000 psi or whatever it was, 2500 psi is not going to make it fail. In addition, I'm sure Speedway made sure the part was totally safe before deciding to offer it, if for no other reason than the possibility of a lawsuit. I am leaning towards a structural or metallurgical defect.

Blue86Monte

Master Mechanic
Mar 25, 2009
St. Louis, Mo
They just refunded my money, no questions asked. I just agreed, took my money and went else were.

mkube396

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2009
South Buffalo / West seneca NY
these calipers have been ground smooth to make them easier to paint.
hmm they may have has some thing to do with it.... i think they tool a little to much off

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
just go to Advance Auto parts.. they are like $11-12 refurb'd paint em red yourself!!! wow !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor