Cutlass Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
The stereo is getting closer. I had time to work on it after the starter fried. I think I am going to cut the driver side door to match the passenger, it seems to be a little more user friendly.

So I took my old starter to a local shop and they informed me that my solenoid is trashed. They attempted to get a new one but fell short. Apparently you can get new contacts and a new plunger but not an actual new solenoid. I then decided to order a new one from summit so I can continue to try and get it tuned right. Surprisingly it took less than 24 hours to recieve the new starter, the only problem is that apperently they changed the casting on it. The starter can be clocked different ways, but no matter how I tried to clock it, it either hit the block or the headers. I contacted summit and at first they weren't very helpful, accusing me of ordering the wrong part. I described how it looked the same but not the same and he asked me if I looked at the picture on their website and compared. Turns out the picture on their website looks identical to my old one. So he had his parts guy go through all the ones they had in stock and none of them look like the picture, they look like the new one I recieved. He was nice enough at this point and is now sending me a powermaster starter, that resembles my olds summit racing one. Hopefully it fits or I'll haev to find another option.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
Good news and bad news. Summit sent me a new starter, a powermaster. It was similar in shape as my original but it was a tad bit longer and a little bit bigger in the body. So it didn't fit either. It would bolt up just fine, but my number 3 header tube would make full contact and prevent the headers from being bolted up. After figuring all of that out, I sent that one back to summit as well. I went to a different starter shop and they sent my starter down to Detroit to world motors and they were able to fix it. I think they spun me a new coil for the solenoid. To make a long story short, I have my old starter fixed and back on. It appears that I might have had the new electric choke to lean and was preventing the car from starting, maybe. Either way, it starts again. Back at it again trying to get it back on the road for my wedding in a couple weeks. I got the cd player installed and looking good. Almost all of the interior is done now, just odds and ends stuff. The body guy was supposed to be working on the t top plates, but I went over there today and discovered them laying on the ground amongst a pile of junk. I ended up grabbing them and now I am going to clean them up myself. Oh well.

fraido2002

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2010
Mid Michigan
Where to start. Been a few weeks since my last update. I was busting it as hard as I could. That starter problem really put me behind the 8 ball. I ended up getting my starter fixed my world motors in detroit, so that problem was solved. I was trying to get the car done for my wedding which was Oct. 19. I almost made it. I took it to get the alignment done, and get the exhuast finished up and that all went well. I finished up the front end and made a hood ornament delete from an extra piece of hood molding. I got the electric cooling fans out of the intrepid wired up, used a spal fan controller. Had to get insurance and plates, which meant I needed to transfer the title to me from my dad, Its been in his name since we bought it in 2000. So after I got all of that done, I finally got to drive it, first time I drove it on the road since 2002. Tried driving it to my rehersal for the wedding, I say tried because it didn't make it. I took the transmission to a professional shop about two years ago to get done right. Well, the first time the car shifter the snap ring that holds the second servo, on the passenger side of the transmission let go, and I lost all of the fluid onto my brand new exhaust and coating the entire bottom of the car in transmission fluid, Bad day. Ended up being late for my own wedding rehersal, bride was not happy. Trailered it home and now it sits, called the transmission shop and will trailer it there as soon as I can. So, to sum it up, in the last two weeks I did the entire front end, grills, headlights, bumper, installed the t top weatherstripping, t top plates, had to paint the t top plates, sorry no pics, adjusted the windows, got plates, insurance, fixed the starter, and I still don't get to drive it, but she sure does look nice. Still needs washed, but looks good. Here is a shot of it when I first brought it home in 2006 and how it looks now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor