New aftermarket Oldsmobile cutlass supreme bezels and grille

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Re: New aftermarket Oldsmobile cutlass supreme bezels and gr

Looks very nice! What grade of ABS are you using? Does it meet the GM's test specification? What is the HDT (Heat Deflection Temp). What about chrome peel testing? I've worked for the largest North American injection molder in the automotive industry for the last 28 yrs and buy tooling from China on a regular basis and know for a fact that they run whatever is on hand....Be careful. Some specs and test data would make me a believer. Would hate to buy this stuff only to have it warp or the chrome peel off a year later.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Anubis said:
Looks very nice! What grade of ABS are you using? Does it meet the GM's test specification? What is the HDT (Heat Deflection Temp). What about chrome peel testing? I've worked for the largest North American injection molder in the automotive industry for the last 28 yrs and buy tooling from China on a regular basis and know for a fact that they run whatever is on hand....Be careful. Some specs and test data would make me a believer. Would hate to buy this stuff only to have it warp or the chrome peel off a year later.

These are great questions that I am unsure of the correct answers. I will find out soon for you. I know they undergo 3000 hr salt spray testing and the mils on the chrome is 35u. The ABS plastic "Honeywell, EAS, A Schulman" is of grade used in multiple OEM factories across the world. But please keep in mind, we dont do business with China, too much of a risk...as you mentioned.

Attachments

• DSCN1908.JPG
    DSCN1908.JPG
    530.6 KB · Views: 2,599
  • DSCN1906.JPG
    DSCN1906.JPG
    723.8 KB · Views: 2,597

Kwiks83

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 30, 2012

I need a set of bezels for my 83 Hurst/Olds as soon as they are ready!!!!!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

If you need help choosing an appropriate resin let me know. I believe the grills and bezels are marked with an ABS recyclable code which means a platable grade HH ABS with good impact properties would be suitable. FYI... A Schulman is a compounder. They make some nice materials but may not be the low cost option.

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA

shanghaismith said:
I'll buy a set of the grills as soon as you get them.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN

Just glad you are making new parts for us and ours! Great job, and the best of luck!

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

Looks like an OEM Bezel on the left, can tell by the chrome finish and the one on the right just looks a little thinner in contour and the chrome doesn't look as clean.
Some better photos would help though, but regardless the average person wouldn't be able to tell...

OEM Grille is on the right.
The blades look thicker on the repro, not 100% though.

Glad to see some progress, would like to see molded black ABS headlight bezels for the '83 Hurst and not painted/powder coated ones.
Originals were molded with black ABS, the finish is different with molded plastic versus painted plastic.

Repro 83 Hurst Grilles would be great as well, those are very popular. Some like to black out the centers and leave the perimeter chrome, looks really cool when done up that way.
Best grille style next to the 81/86 IMO.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

No joking, the OEM is the one on the right. It is a little scuffed from going through all the testing and scanning. It was a new old stock item so as you can see the brand new chrome of the one on the left is the sign that brand new aftermarket is on the left.

83hurstguy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 28, 2010
Kansas City

Impressive!!! Keep up the good work. My OEM bezels on my H/O have about 12 hours of work into them last winter to try to fix them up from years of road debris, and I'm still not thrilled with how they turned out. So consider me an additional voice in the requests for plain ABS reproductions.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

tobyp said:
No joking, the OEM is the one on the right. It is a little scuffed from going through all the testing and scanning. It was a new old stock item so as you can see the brand new chrome of the one on the left is the sign that brand new aftermarket is on the left.
That's what I like to hear, exact reproductions.
I was considering the scratches but thought that was just the reflection.

Please make the ABS black headlight bezels, everyone that own's a Hurst has issues with theirs with regards to warping, cracking and such.
Originality is key...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor