Yes! Love them, can't wait until they are for sale. Thanks again for everything

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: New aftermarket Oldsmobile cutlass supreme bezels and gr

88hurstolds said:
tobyp said:
No joking, the OEM is the one on the right. It is a little scuffed from going through all the testing and scanning. It was a new old stock item so as you can see the brand new chrome of the one on the left is the sign that brand new aftermarket is on the left.
That's what I like to hear, exact reproductions.
I was considering the scratches but thought that was just the reflection.

Please make the ABS black headlight bezels, everyone that own's a Hurst has issues with theirs with regards to warping, cracking and such.
Originality is key...

We are making the Regal/GN bezels from black ABS so we knew to make the Hurst and 442 out of that material as well. We will have to experiment with the black ABS being chromed around the edge as the light tan ABS performs better chroming than black.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

I wanted to bring up that the same manufacturer that did the fillers for the Regal has been doing these ABS projects. They are one of ...if not the best. They are all over the cutlass bucket seat chrome covers.

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812

The votes were entertaining.
Trust me if you walked in the room & had 2 there side by side NOS & Aftermarket you would have chose the aftermarket just due to the chroming quality. Like Mike stated the Chrome is thin on the originals.
If you pick them up the aftermarket are just slightly heavier. This is due to the chroming.
Same with the cutlass grills. They are just heavier & the quality of the chrome is un believeable.

You can see me looking at the white head light bezel for the Buick. I am checking the trueness of the plastic. That side always sagged out from GM even after a few months. Yet the driver side doesn't.
I just wanted to make sure when they built the passenger side it hadn't warped already.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

tobyp said:
We are making the Regal/GN bezels from black ABS so we knew to make the Hurst and 442 out of that material as well. We will have to experiment with the black ABS being chromed around the edge as the light tan ABS performs better chroming than black.

GM painted the black on the bezels for 83-84 Calais/84 Hurst and 85-86 Salon and 442.

The 83 Hurst's were ABS black, the rest were painted eggshell black over fully chromed bezels.
Theres no need to chrome the edges of black bezels.

Same senario goes with the grilles.
All were chrome with painted inserts except 83 Hurst and 87 442 were never chromed.
87 442 are black ABS and 83 Hurst were unchromed dark gray ABS painted black and argent
83-84 Hurst tail light bezels are dark gray ABS painted black as well.

Rear hood trim, lower windshield trim are non anodized painted aluminum.

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa

awesome to hear they are working on the chrome seat covers,if they look anything like the head light brazel and grills they are going to be awesome

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812

88hurstolds said:
tobyp said:

GM painted the black on the bezels for 83-84 Calais/84 Hurst and 85-86 Salon and 442.

The 83 Hurst's were ABS black, the rest were painted eggshell black over fully chromed bezels.
Theres no need to chrome the edges of black bezels.

Same senario goes with the grilles.
All were chrome with painted inserts except 83 Hurst and 87 442 were never chromed.
87 442 are black ABS and 83 Hurst were unchromed dark gray ABS painted black and argent
83-84 Hurst tail light bezels are dark gray ABS painted black as well.

Rear hood trim, lower windshield trim are non anodized painted aluminum.

Mike we will be doing the 83 in a black ABS not the gray. Simple reason they are like the Grand National head light bezels.Gray ABS is exposed once the black is worn off. This way in 10-15 years of washing the paint wears out it will still be black underneath. I think (& he will correct me if I am wrong) but if we can chrome the edges on a black bezel if the paint wears off it will still be black underneath. I have 4 84 H/O's here & every one of them you can see the chrome under the black. If it is Black ABS it would remain black for longer even after the paint wears off. In other words trying to improve over GM.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

It's my understanding that you have to chrome the whole part, you can't just do edges etc. for that you need to use the vacuum metalizing process and then the life of the vacuum metalized aluminum or chrome doesn't last as long as the paint would.

I'm all about originality, just so long as the 83 Hurst Olds bezels are pure black ABS I'll just paint the chrome ones to get the factory finish for the other years, no biggie.

Just thought if you guys went that extra step in chroming the edge of a black it might be costly though don't you think?

Bweavy

Master Mechanic
Feb 27, 2009
Bethel N.C. 27812

88hurstolds said:
It's my understanding that you have to chrome the whole part, you can't just do edges etc. for that you need to use the vacuum metalizing process and then the life of the vacuum metalized aluminum or chrome doesn't last as long as the paint would.

I'm all about originality, just so long as the 83 Hurst Olds bezels are pure black ABS I'll just paint the chrome ones to get the factory finish for the other years, no biggie.

Just thought if you guys went that extra step in chroming the edge of a black it might be costly though don't you think?

Cost versus quality at that point quality will win. There is nothing nailed down in stone yet that is why we had the meetings with the manufacturers. If you noticed the 86 Grills they are all chrome. A tool has to be made to come back & apply the argent color. Looking at the grill all chrome it looks cool, not original but alot of bling. We were talking about offering different choices.
As far as vacuum metalizing The front marker lights are done that way as well.
We just thru ideas past the manufacturers to see what they would come up with. What we can & can not do & what wil be the best product.

This is why we put these threads up here is to get honest feed back. I'm about originality as well but with technology of the originals being 30+ years old if it can be improved upon to last longer or better then GM I would chose that route.
The person doing a 100 point restoration will search out NOS parts.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Agree that chroming the edge won't cut it on an exterior molding like the headlamps, even though the parking lamps are done that way. But then, those suck after a while too, and you really can't fix them. It would be nice if they held up, but I think to get it right it'd be more work and $$ than it's worth.

I've redone my 84 bezels before when they got worn. The chrome edge stays on, but minor rock chips, etc., lets the chrome start to show through after awhile. My point is, it's easier to redo the black and make it look decent than redo the chrome edge.

My suggestion is not to waste a bunch of time on the chrome bezels, just let the buyers mask, scuff and paint the innards (it isn't that difficult). And make the 83 H/Os totally in black ABS. I know I don't get a vote, but if'n I did, that's what I'd do.

The bigger question is, if you're going after better than GM, did you beef up the gussets on the grille mounting holes. Because if you didn't, there's going to be some broken aftermarket grilles down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor