Status
Not open for further replies.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Re: New aftermarket Oldsmobile cutlass supreme bezels and gr

69hurstolds said:
Agree that chroming the edge won't cut it on an exterior molding like the headlamps, even though the parking lamps are done that way. But then, those suck after a while too, and you really can't fix them. It would be nice if they held up, but I think to get it right it'd be more work and $$ than it's worth.

I've redone my 84 bezels before when they got worn. The chrome edge stays on, but minor rock chips, etc., lets the chrome start to show through after awhile. My point is, it's easier to redo the black and make it look decent than redo the chrome edge.

My suggestion is not to waste a bunch of time on the chrome bezels, just let the buyers mask, scuff and paint the innards (it isn't that difficult). And make the 83 H/Os totally in black ABS. I know I don't get a vote, but if'n I did, that's what I'd do.

The bigger question is, if you're going after better than GM, did you beef up the gussets on the grille mounting holes. Because if you didn't, there's going to be some broken aftermarket grilles down the road.

We did not look at changing any geometry on the grilles at all. One thing that I noticed on fitting even NOS grilles for 86 onto my 81 if I changed the slightest mounting setup the grille would not look right and mount wrong. So I want to, at first keep everything the same to make sure we are on the right path. I will be test fitting those grilles into my 442 today since my 81 is in storage, pics soon!

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts

are you going to produce grills for the 78 cutlass calais?? i need some and i cant find them anywhere!!! and i'll deffantly buy!

downsized_1031001617.jpg

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

tobyp said:
69hurstolds said:
The bigger question is, if you're going after better than GM, did you beef up the gussets on the grille mounting holes. Because if you didn't, there's going to be some broken aftermarket grilles down the road.

We did not look at changing any geometry on the grilles at all. One thing that I noticed on fitting even NOS grilles for 86 onto my 81 if I changed the slightest mounting setup the grille would not look right and mount wrong. So I want to, at first keep everything the same to make sure we are on the right path. I will be test fitting those grilles into my 442 today since my 81 is in storage, pics soon!

I can understand your reluctance to change the part geometry due to the risk but simple things like breaking sharp edges to fix stress risers and adding rads is something your tooling source can do for free and would not effect fitment. DPM (Detroit Plastics Molding) molded most of the G body tooling for GM back in the day and did a horrible job with regards to tool workmanship. Polish, flash, unbroken edges, poor steel conditions and ugly undercuts hacked in with a pencil grinder are just a few things that could easily be corrected in new tooling. BTW..what is timing for availability on this stuff (including the seat covers).

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Here is our official test fit pictures of T1 samples on blade grilles and chrome bezels. Now, keep in mind, any small imperfections you notice are just because they have not finalized any finishes. THese are just prototypes used for test fitting purposes. What I concentrate on is the before and after pictures with the original equipment in comparison with the Aftermarket. So I pay attention to lines and fit only. I'd say these are pretty good. I disclaim....I only did this to my 442 for test fit purposes only, it will go back to original :D :!:

IMAG2374.jpg

IMAG2375.jpg

IMAG2375.jpg

IMAG2372.jpg

IMAG2376.jpg

IMAG2381.jpg

IMAG2385.jpg

IMAG2382.jpg

IMAG2386.jpg

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008

When doing the laser measureing etc... did you guys also take in consideration the thickness of the chrome when applied?
Perhaps maybe that is why the parts are coming out a little thicker???

It wouldn't hurt to add strenth to the gussets by making the webbing thicker and filleting the edges.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

88hurstolds said:
When doing the laser measureing etc... did you guys also take in consideration the thickness of the chrome when applied?
Perhaps maybe that is why the parts are coming out a little thicker???

It wouldn't hurt to add strenth to the gussets by making the webbing thicker and filleting the edges.

I am unsure of the thickness of the chrome being thicker. I have NOS grilles on my 81, but it is over at my off site garage. Brian seems to think they are heavier but I would want to compare and weigh to see that difference if any. They are chroming the items at 28-35u thickness and the factory was more than likely thick like this as well. I'll mic the differences and report when I get the car back out.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Consider a couple years ago, these didn't exist. They look great!!!

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan

tobyp said:
I am unsure of the thickness of the chrome being thicker. I have NOS grilles on my 81, but it is over at my off site garage. Brian seems to think they are heavier but I would want to compare and weigh to see that difference if any. They are chroming the items at 28-35u thickness and the factory was more than likely thick like this as well. I'll mic the differences and report when I get the car back out.

If you have a weight difference it will likely be in the molded part and have very little to do with the chroming process. Many factors in the mold building process, injection molding process and material selection will effect overall part weight.

BillsHoe

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Zoo York

They look awesome might replace my oem which have been repaired with a new strong set.look really good

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio

Here is a good picture of my NOS bezels against my aftermarket ones. The NOS are in the back, AM in front. They weigh exactly the same.

Attachments

• IMAG2408.jpg
    IMAG2408.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,704
  • IMAG2407.jpg
    IMAG2407.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,719
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor