Upgrade to CS style alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
ok guys so while my brain is effectivly working at this hour of the day i have been thinking about switching to a CS style alternator. Reason being is i am switching to am electric fan setup and my understanding is that the CS alternators put out more voltage at idle than the original SI alternators do. so my plan is to either swap in a CS130 or a CS144

for a note to others my research has led me to believe that you can use these vehicles for a cross reference:

1991 Corvette w/ 5.7 will generate the part number for the CS130 (105Amp)
Advanced: 91313
Autozone: DLG1351-6-11
1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham RWD W/5.7 will generate the part # for the CS144 (140Amp)
Advanced: 91408
Autozone: DLG1400-6-4

Note: Those part #'s are for original Delco Remy alternators and are not Re manufactured.

Here are the adapter part #'s ( I will edit again once I figure out if we need the resistor kind)

Non-resistor adapters:

- AC Delco: 8077

- Haywire: 2110

- Painless Wiring: 30707

Resistor adapters:

- AC Delco: 8078

As far as the swap goes the alternator mounting tabs are already in the correct location and the housing should be properly clocked. Furthermore they sell an adapter to plug and play our SI harness to the CS plug. We will however need some clarification on which one. There are two adapters available(1 with a resistor and one without). It is my belief that we do not need the resistor harness as it is meant for older vehicles that used an idiot light to tell the alternator to generate (Someone please correct me here if i am wrong). The next step would be to use an impact wrench to remove the serpentine pulley and fan(only applicable if you are using a V-belt setup) and replace it with the fan and pulley off of your old alternator. The alternator will then bolt in to the factory brackets not sure if the top bolt is same thread. Plug the adapter harness in and replace/tension your belt. you should be good to go, however i would recommend upgrading the output wire significantly especially if you use the 140Amp version (we wouldn't want any electrical fires now would we).

so in a nut shell that should be the swap. this will be in progress very soon on my car and i wanted to share it with others. please people lets make any changes where need be. i will note my experiences once the swap is performed. hopefully we can sticky this in time and it will be available for all.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So far your research is on the money. There are several websites that cover the conversion. I too think the CS alternators are the way to go compared to the 10 and 12si units. They do provide higher voltage at idle, which helps enormously when upgrading to an electric fan set up, and high powered sound systems.
Here's a few that I've found. I'm sure there's more out there.

http://www.novaresource.org/alternator.htm

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/tecref14.html

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
yeah i been trying to collaborate the best of the best and bring it to our forum so we wouldn't have to outsource our info haha

sonix

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 8, 2010
You are exactly right. I swapped to the CS144 on my 1982 Trans-am. I got the alternator, along with the plug from the wreckers ($50). I just spliced in the new plug. I also manually added in a resistor (can't remember how many ohms at the moment). You're right, it's due to the idiot light for charging - or in this cars case - the "choke light".

The CS-144 also came on Lumina vans in the early '90s, along with the V8 RWD platforms (Caprice, Roadmaster, etc). They are such that when swapped to a v-belt setup, and put into the standard v-belt location, they drop right in without issue.
Very nice having high output with factory reliability.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
i have found a couple of CS-144 in the wreckers for $45-$65. Is it worth the gamble to get an alternator from the wrecker instead of the $165 new at a store?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sonix said:
You are exactly right. I swapped to the CS144 on my 1982 Trans-am. I got the alternator, along with the plug from the wreckers ($50). I just spliced in the new plug. I also manually added in a resistor (can't remember how many ohms at the moment). You're right, it's due to the idiot light for charging - or in this cars case - the "choke light".

The CS-144 also came on Lumina vans in the early '90s, along with the V8 RWD platforms (Caprice, Roadmaster, etc). They are such that when swapped to a v-belt setup, and put into the standard v-belt location, they drop right in without issue.

you can get the adapter plug with the resistor at Napa for about $14

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
pontiacgp said:
sonix said:

you can get the adapter plug with the resistor at Napa for about $14

right but do we need the resistor type or non resistor type?

also my local yard said i could pick up the cs-144 for $45 no problem and if it failed a bench test to keep bringing them back till i got a good one.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mebe007 said:
right but do we need the resistor type or non resistor type?

also my local yard said i could pick up the cs-144 for $45 no problem and if it failed a bench test to keep bringing them back till i got a good one.

"If you have a C3 with NO GEN light in the dash, then your harness will not
provide enough resistance for the CS alternators to function properly. They will work for
fine for a few months, but then the alternator will fail. So, if you do NOT have a GEN
light in your dash, you’ll need to add at least 35 OHMs of resistance to the Sense wire,
which is brown, or in some cases, white."

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
just wanted to say, VERY good thread! Very well written! Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Subscribing as I am thinking about this.........Why no NAPA part #'s???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor