1987 Grand Prix Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
I like the Lunati cam. Very little overlap @ .050 which means your stock torque converter will be happy and you'll get reasonable gas mileage.
I like the Buick 350 with the th350 transmission and the 2.41 gears, or just cam the 305 and get some headers and a 3.42 gear set to run the 200r4.
I just looked up Chilton. You're over on "the other side"! We need more ppl on the western side that can swing in to our local car shows and say hi

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
MY FYN 79 said:
Wow, small world. I'm from Chilton originally and live near New Holstein now. Never saw your car around town.

Are you behind Chilton furniture?

Oh wow small world indeed. 8) I haven't driven it since I bought her in July sadly, but soon she'll be on the road being driven before the engine is ready to be put in. :lol: i actually live not too far away from the furniture store. I live behind the chinese restaurant and new fitness place.

motorholmes said:
I like the Lunati cam. Very little overlap @ .050 which means your stock torque converter will be happy and you'll get reasonable gas mileage.
I like the Buick 350 with the th350 transmission and the 2.41 gears, or just cam the 305 and get some headers and a 3.42 gear set to run the 200r4.
I just looked up Chilton. You're over on "the other side"! We need more ppl on the western side that can swing in to our local car shows and say hi

Hm ok, Interesting and good to hear. I was thinking about going with 3.42 gears and posi with 28 spline c clip axels. However, that's not until further down the road. Being a budget build, it'll take me a bit before I acquire all the things I'm planning. Yep! I would be on "the other side" as you said. :wink: In the future I'll have to try and make it over to a few of the ar shows and say hi. :)

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
Updated First Post.

Found out my weird starting issue was from a loose positive battery terminal bolt, and when I mean loose, I mean she would pop off going around corners.. :roll: Found a terminal bolt laying around in the basement, dusted and cleaned it off, then bolted it on.
:blam:
Stupid of me not to look there first, but lesson learned I suppose. Still have my light problem though, not sure when I'll be able too check it next since I've been busy as of late with personal things. It's probably something easy, such as bulbs, but still any thoughts on what it could potentially be would help greatly. A little while back I checked the wires in back and everything seemed to be ok.

Also, any opinions on anything regarding my car: what would look cool, revisions on my plans, and etc. I'm open for any ideas you guys have with my build. Thanks again guys. :wink:

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
Well, it has been a couple months since last update, and with some new, bummer news. Long story short, I won't be able to make the engine swap that I would have liked to at this time. :? I will have to wait for any kind of an engine swap for awhile and, in all honesty, I might go to the big block route once I am able to do so.

Anyway, engine swap aside, I still plan on going through with the rest of my project plans, just spicing up the little 305 instead. For the 305, I was going to go with: 059 305 vortec heads (58cc so, no milling required as would most likely have to be done with the 350 vortec heads, even if the 059 heads flow slightly less, I can live with the little difference it is.), vortec intake, full exhaust with headers, and cam kit. I'm shooting still for 300hp, if I can squeak it by with my current plans, 300-350hp. I know it can be done, just not sure with my current plans. If I get around 300 I'll be happy. Long shot from 165hp and 245 torque stock that's for sure.

Exhaust I'm looking at this, it still works with the stock crossmember, and is 3in Ypipe into 2.5in duals:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-817456/

For headers I'm either going with these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9001/
or these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9005/
Depending on which would be less hassle and fit with the previous Y pipe exhaust system. Also, if there is a better/cheaper Ypipe alternative that still fits with the stock crossmember and would be good for my build idea, let me know.

Heads will be stock 305 vortec heads, number 059. I might look into ebay or look at some at a junkyard. Not sure where I'll be getting them from yet, but definitely these heads.

Intake i was looking at was this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2116/?rtype=10

Now for the cam specifications, again not sure on what to go with. I've found many 305 builds from magazine articles and the likes. Many went with flat tappet cams, however, I can't recall any for a roller cam build 305 off the top of my head. I might have some info saved on my laptop, but I can't access it at the moment. Any opinions are gladly welcome on this yet again.

Other than that, everything else in my plan should be the same. Still want to go with a 3.42 posi unit and maybe 28 spline axles for the rear, keep the stock 14in Pontiac Rally II wheels, paint, and Pontiac hood RPM tach. Any info is, again, greatly appreciated guys, thanks. :wink:

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
Well.... I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing me flip flop ideas on my project already :oops: , but I finally found someone to help me with that engine swap! Will be putting in a more appropriate Pontiac 455- TH400 combination. 8)

Anything I should be looking for/doing before I start on this? I have some time yet before I pull the trigger on getting the engine. I know for sure engine mounts and crossmember for TH400 will need to be on order, but what else should I be looking for/doing?

I also bought an exhaust system from the cat back(and headers that were supposed to be for the Chevy 305.. :blam: ) for the stock crossmember location. It's 3" Y'd into 2.5" duals with Flowmaster 44 series. Should this still work ok with my 455 big block plans?

Again, thanks guys for any and all help.. It's much appreciated! :lol:

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
mightymouse said:
I have a 200 r bolted up the a chevy 350.

I have been contemplating whether too, or not too, bolt up the TH2004r and see how long she lasts for.. Seeing as I'll most likely be pushing 450-500ft/lb's at a guestimate, probably not long with the stock transmission. At least, however, then I would be able to swap the engine in and drive afterwards for at least a little while without having to worry about different crossmembers/driveshaft lengths and etc.. I'm not building a track only car either. Just something with fun, street-able manors, and with the 4 speed OD trans, my gas mileage will increase. Along with a more manageable RPM speed on the highway. Though, with a big block, I'm not expecting a miracle in the mpg department. :lol:

mightymouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
The 200 can be built to be pretty strong too. I will be rebuilding mine soon with a ck performance kit and a shift kit.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
mightymouse said:
The 200 can be built to be pretty strong too. I will be rebuilding mine soon with a ck performance kit and a shift kit.

Definitely, I've heard of people doing good things with them. :wink: Just need some ideas on what to do the TH2004r to handle the power of a big block. Can't remember if anyone has posted about that yet in my projects thread.. I'll have to re-read through everything.. Been a while since I've read through it. If I could though, I'd definitely would like to keep the TH2004r.. Might be less hassle than the TH400 route? :-? I really know next to nothing about transmissions.. It's something I need to read on, and I'll more than likely have a friend of the families help me out with it. Glad I have someone to fall on for that kind of stuff anyway. :roll:

Anyway, I might just skip the hassle and buy a transmission from CKPerformance.com that will be rated to handle my 350-400hp / 450-500 lb-ft of torque application reliably.. Or if I have a list of all the part's that need to be replacing, I'll do that if it's much cheaper (and I'm guessing it probably will be..)

Just can't wait to be done with the drivetrain so I can get working on the paint and interior work.. :roll: Patients is a virtue though, or so I hear..

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
CK has an excellent reputation with regards to the 200-4R. The one I have used behind my 509 built by www.extremeautomatics.com lots of good info on his site as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor