1987 Grand Prix Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

mightymouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
I'm going to use a CK kit when I rebuild my 200 r. I think for a street car OD is always a good idea.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
dogshit said:
CK has an excellent reputation with regards to the 200-4R. The one I have used behind my 509 built by http://www.extremeautomatics.com lots of good info on his site as well.

Thanks, dogshit. :wink: I actually had heard about extremeautomatics, but forgot what their name was. Not sure through which producer I'll be purchasing through yet, but I will keep everyone up-to-date on the matter.

mightymouse said:
I'm going to use a CK kit when I rebuild my 200 r. I think for a street car OD is always a good idea.

Same here. An overdrive will help with my fuel mileage, even if by slightly, but more importantly will help with keeping the RPM's down without having to have gears lower than 3.42. I've been planning on either 3.42, 3.55, or 3.73 posi. Most likely the 3.73's, but we'll have to see. Anything is better than my 2.41 non-posi out back. :lol:

mightymouse

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Yeah I have that same crap gear set. I just missed out on a G80 rear end with 3.73 gears at the local wrecking yard. It was from a 87 monte SS.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
mightymouse said:
Yeah I have that same crap gear set. I just missed out on a G80 rear end with 3.73 gears at the local wrecking yard. It was from a 87 monte SS.

Damn, bad luck with that. I might get a Ford 9" if the guy my uncle knows still has it. If not I could search around the junkyards here. I'm sure I could find something to work.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
The MCSS rear from a wrecking yard is the best bang for the buck deal and additionally allows you to do the swap yourself with common tools and no knowledge as you don't tear the rear apart. You just swap the whole thing drum to drum. You still will want to change to fluid but no need to get into the gears and the problems that this can entail. Have your salvage yard do a computer search for you. Also check www.carparts.com.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
dogshit said:
The MCSS rear from a wrecking yard is the best bang for the buck deal and additionally allows you to do the swap yourself with common tools and no knowledge as you don't tear the rear apart. You just swap the whole thing drum to drum. You still will want to change to fluid but no need to get into the gears and the problems that this can entail. Have your salvage yard do a computer search for you. Also check http://www.carparts.com.

Hm alright, thanks. I would rather not have to go through a lot of hassle of tearing into it as I don't have much knowledge about how to go about doing it. This will be my first actual time tearing into and "fixing up" a car, so to speak. Also, since this is going to be a budget build, I am really leaning towards that idea now since it is just a bolt in process. As long as it will be sturdy enough for what I'm looking for, and cheaper, I'll do it. Now just to find one.

87PontiacGP

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2011
Chilton, Wisconsin
Just as a little :bump: , I soon plan on buying paint, primer, and most likely port15 for the chassis (Since this will be daily driven.. Rain or shine, snow or deathly hot days.) I was thinking of going with Persimmon for a paint color, but really just want something classy/different than the normal colors that you see on Grand Prix's and G bodies in general.

First, does anyone have recommendations for color to throw my way? I do plan on changing the color of my interior from blue to tan, so a color that compliments the interior is always nice (Even though I'll be rolling around with blue interior for awhile until the interior work can start.. :roll: But such is the way with project type cars. ).

Secondly, does anyone have a specific place they get their paint and primer at?

I'm going to be painting the body for the first time with the help of my uncle who has done this sorta thing before. Will keep the cost down (Yes, you can call me, Mr. Cheap. :wink: ) and will be a good learning experience. 8)

Also, I'll be picking up the exterior pieces within the next couple days so the paint process can begin at anytime there after.

Pieces include: Pontiac Hood Tachometer, '80's Trans Am spoiler (Though, I am a stickler with matching year parts for some reason.. :? Would really like an '87 Trans Am spoiler and any other cosmetic part that goes on the car, with, of course, the exception of the Pontiac hood tach..), Grand Prix L.E. emblems (I might do something more unique and my own with this.. Maybe have some kinda of throw back to a Grand Prix performance oriented designation? You know, to keep with the sleeper/factory stock look but to match what's under the hood.. If anyone catches my drift. 8) ), and plastic tabs for the lower rocker chrome trim so they can be reattached.

I was contemplating a Pontiac style Ram Air hood scoops, or a Shaker hood scoop, but thought against it. Doesn't really fit with any performance Grand Prix that I've ever remembered during the '60's and '70's, and this car in away is a homage to those vehicles. When I'm done, I want this car to look like it was a performance package that you could apply to a Grand Prix from '87. Similar to what speedkills80 has done with his Malibu, and I have to say, he's done a damn good job with it! :D I don't plan on my car being that well done, but I love those kind of builds..

Anyway, thanks for any and all who reply to this. If speedkills80 sees this, awesome job on your car again.. :drool: :friday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor